Ethics on Logging own caches.

Hi

I'm new to geocacheing but have been following the forums and caches for a little over a month.. finding how things work or not you know.

But I was wondering if logging your own caches is ethical.. I was just perusing the last couple of Cache events as I plan on driving down to the edinburgh cache later this month.

On the Travel bug event in yourkshire the person who set it up logged it twice.. once before it was technically available.

I know that there are those who like the numbers game as shown up in The Northumbrians post..

I'm just curious to know..

And before any one shouts troll I live up a hill in the most beautiful part of Scotland .. not under a bridge and hope to meet lots of folks in Currie..

Once I figure how to use this ruddy GPS thing..

BTW.. can anyone tell me if I can use wass thing on Garmin 12!!

Thanks

Event caches can be logged by all who attend - that's why it has its own category.

The person who posts the meet is technically the owner but all attendees share in "making" it on the day.

In terms of the NW meet, there were seperate physical & virtual caches available on the day which were not logged by their owners.

If you are interested, there is a page which lists all caches found by their owner:-

Caches found by their owner

Seasider

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction!

[This message was edited by Seasider on September 08, 2003 at 05:18 AM.]

Well I was always told that if something looks like a troll and smells like a troll, then it probably is a troll.

Somehow it looks like a note on the cache page for that event was showing as a find instead of a note. Not sure how it happened but it is an error that I am more than happy to correct.

I did think it was strange that my total was showing up as 640 when I thought it should have been 639. When you have so many cache finds it does get hard to keep track of them all. Nice to know that I have someone doing it for me. icon_wink.gif

Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Alex.

------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....

[This message was edited by Slytherin on September 08, 2003 at 05:26 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Devils Advocate:

Hi

But I was wondering if logging your own caches is ethical.. .........

BTW.. can anyone tell me if I can use wass thing on Garmin 12!!

Thanks

If you have to ask, maybe you're just a teeny bit of a troll. Or just simple? (Nice name by the way).

No - you shouldn't log your own cache. "Wait a minute, I think I would have hidden it here - wow, it is here. I found it icon_rolleyes.gif"

If you want to get into the real complexities, I believe there is an argument for logging caches that can move around, even if you started it, but I don't pretend to understand that kind of abhorrence. This sounds even worse than locationless caches.

Well spotted though - we need this kind of eagle eyed monitoring to keep the game straight.

Oh - Garmin GPS12 family - no WASS.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

We have logged two of the caches we own. That's because we found them before we owned them - then when they came up requiring adopters, we felt up to the task, having previously found them.

There's no way we're cancelling our finds on those! However, it would be daft to log finds on the ones which we actually hid ourselves.

Stu

Don't think you're upsetting anyone.

Don't mind me - I pop up once in a while and vent, bit like a whale. icon_eek.gif

It is an easy thing to log as "Found It" as this is the default choice. Even the more experienced can miss this in the excitement of the moment! Be careful if you're dropping a Travel Bug off at a cache you have already logged - make sure it's a Note entry.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

quote:
Originally posted by Devils Advocate:

....as I plan on driving down to the edinburgh cache later this month.

We are planning to be at the cache event. Looking forward to meeting you.

Alex.

------------------------------------------------

Knights of the Green Shield stamp and shout.....