Some Stats On UK Geocaching

Hi. I've gone through the UK cache logs and made up a chart showing month by month the number of new caches, caches found and new cachers which I thought was interesting so thought I might put it up for others to see. It's at:

http://www.cookie.demon.co.uk/geocache/stats.html

It's interesting to see the activity didn't actually drop over winter (just stayed constant) and now it is getting warmer and the new cachers per month is increasing the number of caches found is going through the roof.

Anyway, enjoy.

icon_mad.gif Bah. The new boards now let me put my URL in but they mung it. Either copy and paste it or remove the underscore before 'cookie' icon_mad.gif

At Richard's suggestion, I've added an Active cachers line to the chart. It's interesting that since October every month approximately half of the people geocaching started that month. There's also an average found line and the total found has it's own scale as it is so much higher than the others.

Cheers,

Rob.

I suppose its because people may still hunt these caches even though they are out of the public domain, defeating the whole point of archiving. Some caches are archived even though the physical cache might still be in place, which would be an incentive for some to hunt them out.

I really like seeing the list of archived caches - there are some good logs on these that would otherwise be lost from sight forever.

-----------

el10t

mobilis in mobili

quote:
Originally posted by Kimrobin:

I know that in the past Jeremy has not liked having lists of archived caches published.

Don't know why but I read somewhere that he had a problem with it.

alex.

Well if the cache owner wanted people to continue to look for the cache they wouldn't have archived it. Publishing archived cache details partly negates the point of archiving it in the first place.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

Well if he asks me to to remove the page then I will but I would have thought the problem was more with people having archived and active caches in the same lists. Mine are clearly a list of archived caches and they don't appear in any of the download waypoints files.

Anyway, hope you meet some of you at the meet on Sunday.

18793_300.jpg

Ok, 10 metres. It's somewhere around here...

quote:
Originally posted by Rob & Lisa:

Well if he asks me to to remove the page then I will but I would have thought the problem was more with people having archived and active caches in the same lists.

Jeremy occasionally posts to the UK forums which means he is probably aware of your web page and he hasn't complained about it yet, so it must be OK.

I think you're right in that the object of archiving a cache is to prevent people from trying to do the cache and so a list of archived caches that are obviously archived is probably OK.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.