Instructions for logging Travel bugs to newbies

Having seem to have lost a bug of mine called Zippy, I contacted the last person to visit the cache Sunrise , Which is in tHE States( not a plug) they told me thast the cache owner had logged the log book as having taken Zippy, But on contact with him , He reckons not, So it looks like the bugs gone missing , It's a shame as he had clocked up about 5000 miles, I was looking for a forum or part of Geocaching.com that you can log missing bugs, as yet I havnt't benn able to find that part of the site, anyway I did come across a forum about peoples bugs going missing and was able to find a page that you can print out that can be put in a cache with your bug

the page was created by seth and designed by Markwell and can be found at

Logging travel bugs

what to do when they find a bug

Then I got to thinking, That If we were to print out a few of these notices and the next time we retrieve a bug we could place a notice with it when we leave him in the next cache, and soon most of the bugs will have some sort of instruction to newbies as what to if they decide to take the bug. I can remember when I found my first bug and had a hell of a job making sense and trying to find out how to get it logged

Just a thought , it may be helpful .

Nige ,

Having seem to have lost a bug of mine called Zippy.....

....and was able to find a page that you can print out that can be put in a cache with your bug

Hey, MANY THANKS for that: I'm just about to send my first travel bug out into the world (its heading towards my brother in Australia!) and have just printed off & laminated a sheet to go with it!

Excellent idea! (and the web page added to my favourites!!)

Team Blitz

No, I gave YOU the spare batteries....

your lucky Zippy got so far. I placed a travel bug in a cache on 22nd May 02 it was taken out on 26th May and it has never been seen since The person who has it said "I'll have to decide what to do with it" It's taken a long time for them to decide Why do people take bugs and hold on to them? It beats me.

quote:
Originally posted by Gary & Jane:

quote:
I was looking for a forum or part of Geocaching.com that you can log missing bugs, as yet I havnt't benn able to find that part of the site

I'm not aware of any official place to log them but many people place them in the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=29352. You can always resurrect Zippy if he's found again!

Thanks for that info Gary & Jane , Thats just what I was looking for

Nige

quote:
Originally posted by Silver fox:

your lucky Zippy got so far. I placed a travel bug in a cache on 22nd May 02 it was taken out on 26th May and it has never been seen since The person who has it said "I'll have to decide what to do with it" It's taken a long time for them to decide Why do people take bugs and hold on to them? It beats me.

Have you contacted the cacher who took it? I sometimes wish that there was an automated message system on Geocaching.com that sent out messages to people if they kept hold a bug to long without replacing it in another cache, Jason W's bug Bongo is on my watch list and he's been in someone's hands sinse may last year, I just wish they would release them. Nice to here from you again Silver Fox.

Nige

I think people should try to attach a laminated card to the travel bug to let the finders know of it's goals, but maybe adding instructions on how to log it once they've picked it up is also a good idea, Nige.

I'll try to remember to make out a card for the bugs I find in future as well since many people don't have access to laminaters.

It seems like the cache owner is most diligent in checking what's going on, so it looks like your bug disappeared between visits.

I recently had a TB returned to me by post by the last cacher who found it after I had e-mailed them. They just couldn't get out to another cache to get it back in circulation.

Andy.

----------------------------------------

It's Microsoft versus mankind, with Microsoft having only a slight lead - Larry Ellison

We found some useful stuff at an office supply shop - "self laminating" plastic pockets, by a company called "3L". They come in various sizes, and are basically a plastic pouch that you slot your document into, then peel off some backing paper to make them seal - you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the finished article, and something that was laminated by a machine. The "business card" sized ones work a treat for travelbug notes.

quote:
... since many people don't have access to laminaters.

There is, of course, the "poor-man's lamination system" that I use (and I suspect many others too) that seems to work well: take the paper / card, cover both sides with self-adhesive clear book-covering film, with a few mm overlap on the edges... rub down smooth, & trim the edges.

Woollies do a small roll of the book-covering film for only 99p.

Paul

Team Blitz

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

quote:
... since many people don't have access to laminaters.

There is, of course, the "poor-man's lamination system" that I use (and I suspect many others too) that seems to work well: take the paper / card, cover both sides with self-adhesive clear book-covering film, with a few mm overlap on the edges... rub down smooth, & trim the edges.

Woollies do a small roll of the book-covering film for only 99p.

Paul

Team Blitz

I buy a pack of laminating pouches and then use the Iron to seal them. This tip came from this

forum I think By Slytherin and works well

Nige

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

I buy a pack of laminating pouches and then use the Iron to seal them. This tip came from this

forum I think By Slytherin and works well

Nige

Nope, weren't me, but it is a good idea.

I have to say that nearly all the travel bugs that we find in the States now have a laminated tag with logging instructions and the bug's goal. This did help us recently when we picked one up in Florida. The tag said that it was heading for S America so we left it. Bringing it back to the UK would have taken it well off course.

Alex.

I was in Makro last week and they had some laminators for just about twenty quid.

It may have been a special offer(Don't know)

The only reason I didn't buy one is that living on a little boat I just don't have the space.

Another idea might be waterproof paper and a fisher space pen. I carry one all the time as they write underwater! (Comes in handy on those wet caching days)

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

I did come across a forum about peoples bugs going missing and was able to find a page that you can print out that can be put in a cache with your bug

the page was created by seth and designed by Markwell and can be found at

http://www.xsnrg.com/geocachingwa/asp/travelbugsheet1.asp

what to do when they find a bug

Then I got to thinking, That If we were to print out a few of these notices and the next time we retrieve a bug we could place a notice with it when we leave him in the next cache, and soon most of the bugs will have some sort of instruction to newbies as what to if they decide to take the bug. I can remember when I found my first bug and had a hell of a job making sense and trying to find out how to get it logged

Just a thought , it may be helpful .

Nige ,

Thought I would resurect this topic for the benifit of those of you who have not seen this handy little tool,

Nige

The Northumbrian is a member of The Geocaching Association of Great Britain

Glad you reopened this topic Nige. It may have already been suggested but I also add a copy of the TB's log to date when I replace it so that finders can see where its been and not revisit previous sites and also see the original objective it's owner set. After all it is not unknown to find a TB which you had not known in advance was in the cache if your download is at all old, sometimes even a few hours old!