Leave alone or Spruce them up

A little tweaking is fine, but I like seeing well done and interesting pages. The Artful Dodger is well known in our area for his great cache pages.

They are a bit of a pain when you want to print one out, but quite entertaining.

Here are examples of his very original cache pages:

The Jukebox

Puzzled?

Phantasmorgia

Giants Stairs

Rapture of the Deep

And here's one he's placed on your side of the pond:

Cobhams Quest

"Men don't stop playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

My *personal opinion* (which is not a slate on any one person or cache page(s)) is that websites/pages with background music are normally exceedingly tacky. I laways hit the 'stop' button to turn the music off. And more often that not, silly backgrounds make the page hard to read (although with Geocaching.com all the info is in a white pane, so it's less of a nuisance).

IMHO wide graphics should nopt be used, as they become a pain to print out, and font sizes should be left as 'natural' as possible (i.e. use type tags, but not tags, so that those that don't like huge fonts can actually reduce them.

Just my two cents.

--

Huga

"Chris, the GPS says it's 53 feet that way [points through hedge]. Oh, I'm standing on it."

Blimey - some of the examples here certainly make Dan and Pids look tame.

The one mentioned by team 5-oh - I don't get the 'follow on' page so can't do that one.

And I looked at 'giant stars' but it requires/requests a plugin that's not available for my hardware icon_frown.gif plus after 10+mins waiting for the piccies I gave up. - for some strange reason I didn't try the others in that list.

can you guess that I voted for some extras but less is more.

As a guide I'd request that as long as you stick to html and avoid flash,java(script) and big pictures (or anims) then very few people will experience difficulties.

Plus remember that not all browsers can handle all html tags but at least if it is good html they know how to ignore them.

Roddy

If folks want to dress up their cache descriptions that's fine by me, but if I can't read the thing then I'm unlikely to bother trying to find the cache.

Auto-play sound or music is a really bad idea. (How can I quietly browse the site from my office PC if it's likely to start squawking at me at any moment... ;P )

At least JavaScript doesn't get into cache descriptions any more. icon_wink.gif No longer can visiting a cache description cause the browser to fall over in a heap or spew garbage all over the screen... :rolleyes

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

I think that it's nice to see some effort gone into cache pages. It's nice 2 have music and pics and I don't really care whether they're easy to print or not!

Michael aka 1/2 of Team Blitz

If life iz a game, then y aint it fair, im alwayz the lonely 1, u dont even care :S

Well, time and effort can show on a cache page in more ways than the backgrounds or whether or not they have music etc. Some people really dont seem to bother with the text at all, just literally saying "here it is, this is whats in it". That sort of info really doesnt inspire me to go and find their cache.

It doesnt even really have to be local info either, its just the whole way its presented and worded. If time and care has been taken with the cache description and info then its almost certainly been taken with the location of the cache!

Tiffany

Animated web pages impress me (but my wife says I'm easily impressed.) I'm impressed because I don't know how to do it. Anyone that can make stuff sing and dance on the screen has my full admiration but as with most things, there's a fine line between doing "just enough" and "showing off". I'm relatively new to this game and still finding my way around (even with the help of a GPS receiver). So far I've had no problems. I pick one or two caches that look interesting, click on the printer icon and the printer spits out the sheets onto the floor. I just accept that... it's the way my wife has it set up. I don't read them before I leave, I've already read them on the terminal thingy but I suspect I'd be really pissed off if I was in the middle of a wood somewhere, cache nowhere to be found, trying to decrypt a clue that was half missing. So please guys (and girls too) remember that there are some of us out there that only cut and paste when the wife wants the bedroom redecorated. icon_smile.gif