Measurement Systems

We started with our GPS set to this New fangled feet and Inches thingy but it wasn't long before we changed to the proper Metric system. Some how 50Meters dosn't seem as far away as 150 Feet.

Just wondering what everyone uses (handy to know for cache descriptions, clues etc).

Chris

"We're not lost - we just don't know where we are"

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

but not because I'm a rampant metrication geek - it's a lot simpler than that.....

The trail option on my trusty Magellan GPS works on 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 navigation units.

It offers 3 choices of navigation units, nautical miles, statute miles & kilometres. Because 1nm = 1.852km, 1mi=1.609km both nautical & statute miles give larger area of coverage than metric for any given scale, but when you get down to the 0.1 scale the track is easier to follow to the cache.

The fact that 1 pace for me is about 1 metre just saves me doing mental arithmetic to work out when I should next look at the GPS to see if I've got closer or not.

Of course as you can see it's more complicated to explain icon_wink.gif

----8<--------8<---CUT-HERE---8<--------8<----

but not because I'm a rampant metrication geek - it's a lot simpler than that.....

The trail option on my trusty Magellan GPS works on 0.1, 0.2, 0.3, 0.5, 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 navigation units.

It offers 3 choices of navigation units, nautical miles, statute miles & kilometres. Because 1nm = 1.852km, 1mi=1.609km both nautical & statute miles give larger area of coverage than metric for any given scale, but when you get down to the 0.1 scale the track is easier to follow to the cache.

The fact that 1 pace for me is about 1 metre just saves me doing mental arithmetic to work out when I should next look at the GPS to see if I've got closer or not.

Of course as you can see it's more complicated to explain icon_wink.gif

----8<--------8<---CUT-HERE---8<--------8<----

I use miles for long distance (although clicks (km) are OK), height in metres OR feet (depends on context) and inches (or cm) for everyday measurements.

Actually either measurement system will do!

Andy.

[This message was edited by Subarite on May 22, 2002 at 03:03 PM.]