Ammo boxes

Warby

I'm sure that this question has been asked on many occasions in the past, but here we go again....

I am preparing to place my first cache and was wondering where, in the Essex/London area, I can obtain ammo boxes, or would I be better off using a plastic container of some description.

Maybe I'm in a minority here, but I've never understood this 'ammo box' bandwagon many people seem to be jumping on.

Yes, I've found a fair few (though only one in the UK) but to be honest, they aren't any better than the standard tupperware.

There are pros and cons with both choices. The ammo cans are undoubtably more robust and waterproof but if people carefully consider where their caches are placed there really is no need in spending the extra money. I'd rather use the £s I save on extra goodies for the cache.

Thanks for the responses. I shall continue to listen to views on the plastic v. metal discussion.

In the meantime, I have just ordered a (small) supply of ammo boxes from Milisupply at quite reasonable prices - thanks for the link Sonya.

[This message was edited by Warby on June 26, 2003 at 03:29 PM.]

Looking forward to that cache Warby icon_smile.gif

We got our ammo boxes from the web then from The Hornet. To disagree with Travers I have to say I much prefer ammo boxes to tupperware.

The contents of ammo boxes always seem to be dryer than tupperware and the containers are that much stronger. Some makes of tupperware don't seem to be strong enough to last over a winter and the plastic changes, it becomes brittal and leaks or breaks. I have had a few tupperware boxes snap in my hands and am now so paranoid about them I carry a spare. I just have never had any of the same problems with ammo boxes. Plus the large ammo boxes leave room for loads of goodies - books etc.

That said tupperware generally seems easier to hide, try hiding a large ammo box and you soon know why they are called LARGE ammo boxes icon_biggrin.gif

Chris

If only life had an undo button....

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

I've just bought an ammo box from Anchor Surplus in Nottingham, destined to become my first placed cache. Look out for "View From a Ridge (New Forest)" soon!

Incidentaaly, Anchor are currently doing a two-for-one offer so I got two of the smallest size (which seems to be a common size for the caches I've found) for £2-50.

While I agree with the previous comments about waterproofness and robustness, in a high-muggle content area, it's much easier to look innocent if "caught" with a tupperware cache than with an ammo box!

Paul

A member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain

No-one has yet mentioned the real disadvantage of ammo cans...weight !! When Mrs Pharisee and me go geocaching, her ex - S.A.S. rucksack is already filled with food, water, wet weather clothing, trade goods etc. It really wouldn't be fair to ask her to carry a heavy steel ammo box loaded with goodies as well. She's really quite frail and a small Tupperware container would be her limit. icon_wink.gif

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

..her ex - S.A.S. rucksack is already filled with food, water, wet weather clothing, trade goods etc. It really wouldn't be fair to ask her to carry a heavy steel ammo box loaded with goodies as well. She's really quite frail and a small Tupperware container would be her limit.

You will just have to put her on short rations to counter the additional weight. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Hungry Caterpillars:

Just a quick note about ammo boxes -you may find they are unacceptable in certain parts of the country and to certain landowners.I seem to recall that ammo boxes should not be placed on Dartmoor for instance.Cannot recall where Ispotted this.It may have been in an article about Letterboxing? icon_smile.gif

I think I read the same thing in an Artical about Letterboxing in Country walking magazine.

It's due to dartmoor being a military area and the worry that would cause. Apparently large pharmesist size pill boxes are the prefered container there.

Chris

If only life had an undo button....

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:
Originally posted by Warby:

Has anybody used or seen any containers based on capped drain/soil pipes? I would imagine that these would be extremely durable, watertight and because of the shape/profile, possibly easier to hide.

There's a thread in the General forum about this. A chap was doing just that to make very effective underwater caches !

Also check this cache out!... That's what I call extreme cache hiding.

This too is a serious cache box... Carbon fibre ammo box with rubber seals!

If you can see the 'light at the end of the tunnel', it's usually a train coming !

Thanks for the response.

The underwater cache looks impresive, but I noted that there were still some reports of water ingress. However, I followed your link to the thread in the general forum and from there found this.

Maybe my decision to buy ammo cans was justified.