Dumb question from a newbie

quote:
Originally posted by stul:

The UK geocache information contains an optional reference using the British Grid System. If we are using these co-ords instead of the hddd mm.mm do we need to change the map datum seting to "Ord srvy GB" instead of "WGS 84"?

Yes.

Although I always download the coordinates using easygps, which makes the whole question irrelevant.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

There is a bug in some of the OS coordinate translations on this site which loses some of the leading zeros from OS refs (I don't think it has been fixed yet). You are far safer to use WGS84 for everything on the GPS (set the GPS to WGS84 DD MM.MMM) and OS to find it on the map (set the GPS to British Grid and Ord srvy GB).

Hope that helps.

Chris

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

quote:

I will post again when I have lost virginity (geocaching I mean).

Welcome to the addiction! icon_smile.gif

Oh, and I'm sure you'll soon realise there's no such thing as a dumb question... at least that's what I hope, because if there is, then I keep on asking them all the time! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

WGS84 is the "standard" co-ordinate system that's used by geocachers worldwide. Although you'll see an option to convert to UK grid on each UK cache page, I'd suggest that you stick with the WGS84 system and get used to it. Often you'll find navigational hints, suggested parking positions, interesting things to spot en-route etc mentioned on the cache notes, and these are invariably only given as WGS84 references. Similarly, on some of the trickier caches, you need to solve clues + puzzles to decode the final co-ordinates of the cache - again, you'll be working towards decoding a WGS84 reference, rather than a UK grid ref.

While the UK ref can be useful for advance planning via OS maps, switching between the two systems while "in the field" can be a pain, and it's easy to forget to change datum (which means your navigation will be off by a few hundred yards). IMHO, it's best to switch your GPS to WGS84 and then never mess with the settings ever again!

John TGS.

OS X, one of my cachesadvertising>, requires you to calculate its co-ordinates from 4 sets of others, and all the calcs are in OSGB.

So it's useful to be knowledgeable of both.

But to answer the original question, when co-ords are in OSGB format, it's best to put your GPS into British Grid/Ord Surv GB or else you'll be 100m or so out in some places! My new eTrex Venture automatically changes the datum when I swap to OS grid ref mode icon_smile.gif

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

Well by all means put the old Grenade in the cache! they are ammo cans afteralls! LoL......If you hear a bang and its dark come and help me find various parts of my body....

And make sure you give my Brain to scientific reasearch wont you!

LoL. Pid icon_biggrin.gif

--------------------------------------------------------

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

Team Blitz (Michael)

I didn't actually register because of the inside out program (though I did catch a bit of it). There is a feature on GPSs in this month's computer shopper which mentions the site.

I'm off to Dorset for a long weekend tomorrow so it looks like my first site will not be so local.

To the owners/operators of Geoching.com

I've been having a look through this site and I have to say it's one of the best websites I've ever seen.

Best regards

Stul

Stul? Did you have a nice time in Dorset?? Being a resident its always interesting to hear of what others thought of our quiet little county!

There are plenty of caches in the area, probably far too many for even a long month down here!!!

I'm looking forward to losing my geocache cherry and actually finding some caches!