Auto routing software

I have a basic yellow etrex and I am wondering if anyone uses software to plan out road trips with one. I know I cant download maps to it but it would be handy I think if it could point me in the right directions. I have succesfully used it when i first got my gps to retrace someone elses route so I know it can do what i want it to do. Is there an easyer way than marking a route using memory map and then uploading?. Similar to the autroute 2000 that I have but it doesnt upload to my gps.

Damm that sounds confusing does anyone understand what I am gibbering on about!

AUT PAX AUT BELLUM

quote:
Originally posted by Naefearjustbeer:

thanks for the link I have downloaded the program and will have a play with it later!. Another thought I have had is to use my gps for night fishing on lochs. so that I can mark waypoints where the fish are so I can motor back to drift over the same spot again.

AUT PAX AUT BELLUM

I've done that on Loch Awe. Last year we were up there before I'd found geocaching but my fishing mate is a pilot and had a Garmin GPS III-Pilot in his kit bag so we waypointed the 'hot spots'. I went back this year with my own GPSr but the 'hot spots' seemed to have moved. Bummer....

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

quote:
Originally posted by Friendly Flyer:

I use my Yellow Etrex and a laptop running Autoroute 2000 sometimes when on a long new route.

If you plug the Etrex into the laptop (and change the data transmission format) then you get a moving map display.

Just out of curiosity... were you aware of the patch that enables you to change the refresh rate from the default 15 seconds to 10, 5 0r 1 second?

John

quote:
Just out of curiosity... were you aware of the patch that enables you to change the refresh rate from the default 15 seconds to 10, 5 0r 1 second?

Err No. Could you enlighten us/me please.

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.

quote:
Originally posted by Motley Crew:

quote:

Err No. Could you enlighten us/me please.

I was afraid you were going to say that...

Some time ago I was browsing the US forums and came across a posting refering to a little program that could be downloaded for free. When you run it the first time it changes the Autoroute refresh time to 10 seconds. The second time it runs the refresh rate is 5 second, the third 1 second and the fourth back to 15 seconds and so on.

I've searched without success for that posting so at the moment, I can't give you the web site but I will keep trying. I have the program on my lap-top so I could send it to you as an e-mail attachment but at the moment, my lap top is with one of my engineers in Malaysia. He will be back this week, though (I hope).

John

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

Some time ago I was browsing the US forums and came across a posting refering to a little program that could be downloaded for free. When you run it the first time it changes the Autoroute refresh time to 10 seconds. The second time it runs the refresh rate is 5 second, the third 1 second and the fourth back to 15 seconds and so on.

John,

Is this the one?

http://gpssoft.homestead.com/

GPS Soft

Would you like to increase the GPS update speed of MS Sreets & Trips ?

Progressive Patchers: 5-4-3-2-1 Second Updates

Each time the patch is run the updates get shorter!

Hope this helps,

DerekReed

"Lost in the woods? Not if you remembered to waypoint the car!!". [icon_smile.gif]

I am a proud member of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain.

quote:
Originally posted by DerekReed:

John,

Is this the one?

http://gpssoft.homestead.com/

_GPS Soft_

Would you like to increase the GPS update speed of MS Sreets & Trips ?

Progressive Patchers: 5-4-3-2-1 Second Updates

Each time the patch is run the updates get shorter!

Hope this helps,

DerekReed

That website doesn't ring any bells for me but the patches will certainly do the same job. Thanks Derek

John

John & Derek

Thanks to you both for the info. Unfortunately we use Mapsource on our CDROm-less laptop so it aint gonna help us icon_frown.gif.

Now does anyone knows how to do a similar tweak on Mapsource ....