New version of Memory-Map available

Memory Map works very nicely for me thank you. It is expensive but it is very nice to be able to set up a route by hitting a number of waypoints on a 50,000 OS plan and transfer them straight into the GPSr or conversely to upload a track from the GPSr and see just where you went. I can't say I've lashed out for the photomaps yet so don't know how good they are though the demo looks good. There is competition in the market with the names of Anquet and Fugawi springing to mind but not tried by me - others might be able to compare.

Happy to be member of GAGB and user of GeocacheUK

quote:
Originally posted by The Cuthberts:

Is this software any good? I notice that we are on the boundary between regions 1 and 2 for the aerial photography so it would be quite an initial expense.

We saw this at HCC and were shown around the full version. Ariel photos looked very useful... software looked great. We live on the border of 4 ariel photography zones if memory serves... so it would be expensive for us too!

I have MemoryMap Navigator with 1:50,000 OS maps for all the UK mainland and Ariel photgraphs for all of England and Wales. I don't have any experience of Anquet or Fugawi but I recon MM would be hard to beat. I print out a chunk of OS map to go with each cache sheet (I don't have a hand held thingy). Its much easier to glance at an A4 sheet with a map enlarged 3 or 4 times on it when you're driving than to try looking at a large folded map.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif

Bought MM Navigator about 6 months ago, and it's worked out quite well.

Never used the aerial photos part, never had a need. It's an excellent bit of software, we took a laptop with us on holiday to Cornwall and used it to annotate finds (we also had the paper OS:25000 maps with us), also helped us out of a few traffic jams as well, with the gps plugged in.

We've now upgraded to an IPAQ, and installed the Pocket Navigator software that comes with the full blown PC Navigator.

We download the Ebooks that come with pocket queries, and use Mobipocket to read the cache pages.

The only drawbacks are that at the moment, you can only get down to OS:50000 maps (Anquet has Harveys 25000 scale maps).

(now if can just strap a bluetooth gps receiver to the top of my head, I can transmit the coords to the pda without any messy wires icon_biggrin.gif).

Mrs Cuthbert was rather lenient on me when the postman rang to get the delivery signed last Thursday. What a fantastic bit of software although I am restricted to the South for the moment until I pay off the credit card ! icon_wink.gif

Now for the question...... I can overlay the GC:UK cache locations onto the desktop but the documentation is a bit sketchy when it comes to doing a similar thing on the PDA. Can anyone help me on this ?

Andy

quote:
Originally posted by Chris and Kathryn:

have you been able to get c copy of reg 10?

I don't think they like us Northeners icon_frown.gif

Chris and Kathryn

I have OS region 10 in the 1:50,000 series but not the 1:25,000 aerial photographs.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability icon_wink.gif