How far would you travel for a geocache?

The discussion about Dan and Pid's Island Race idea has set me wondering how far people would actually go.

The question is how far would you, or have you gone in the past specifically to do a geocache?

Caches you've done on holiday don't count unless the geocache was the main reason you chose that destination, nor does doing one because it's close by somewhere else that you were visiting, it doesn't count. (For example we did Avebury, and tried to do Glastonbury visiting a relation in Shepton Mallet)

If there is a specific cache you've travelled a long way to do, feel free to say why that was.

Normally about 100 miles, Have done troon , which is 175 miles from my home co-ordinates, and last sunday clocked up 380 miles doing eight caches, Harrogate area then Humberbridge and some on the east coastWe left the Newcastle area at seven Thirty a.m. and got back home at eleven forty five p.m. and it was well worth the journey, some of the places we visited were fantastic especialy looking down on to Otley from the Great dib cache. having done most of the north caches ,we can now get round the west part of the country.

and we love it. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by The Northumbrian on April 11, 2002 at 06:03 AM.]

Normally about 100 miles, Have done troon , which is 175 miles from my home co-ordinates, and last sunday clocked up 380 miles doing eight caches, Harrogate area then Humberbridge and some on the east coastWe left the Newcastle area at seven Thirty a.m. and got back home at eleven forty five p.m. and it was well worth the journey, some of the places we visited were fantastic especialy looking down on to Otley from the Great dib cache. having done most of the north caches ,we can now get round the west part of the country.

and we love it. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by The Northumbrian on April 11, 2002 at 06:03 AM.]

Hi everyone, between Good Friday and last Monday I went for about ten cache's, and clocked up about 600 miles! Each one had it's own merits, either the views as it was a good week for the weather, or the actual location.

I don't care, either, coz I love it!!!

GAZ icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi everyone, between Good Friday and last Monday I went for about ten cache's, and clocked up about 600 miles! Each one had it's own merits, either the views as it was a good week for the weather, or the actual location.

I don't care, either, coz I love it!!!

GAZ icon_rolleyes.gif

Having arranged a geocaching holiday some distance away I thought it might be a good time to re-visit this thread.

I now reckon a 'local' cache is anything within 50 miles and I regularly do 100-200 on a day's caching although to be fair this does involve more than one cache. I suppose a good average is 20-30 miles per cache. Gordon Brown does help with the cost though as I usually manage to combine it with some 'business' travel in the van icon_wink.gif

Mind you that average should go up this week when I'm off to try my luck in California icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif!!

Now if only I could find someone wanting a package delivered to San Francisco I could claim it as business mileage icon_wink.gif

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.