0°00.000 caches

Huga

What's people's consesus on listing the co-ordinates of a cache as 0°00.00' ?

I'm going to be placing some multiple caches in the near future, and am wondering whether to list the caches as N52°00.000 E0°00.000 (which is correct to the nearest degree), or as all zeroes.

The problem, y'see, with listing as all zeroes is that:

a) The cache doesn't show up on people's lists of nearest caches.

:D If a Travelbug gets palced in a cache with zero co-ordinates, it suddenly thinks it's travelled to the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, and that seriously upsets its travelled siatnce log.

Can anybody think of any benefits for listing the cache as 0°00.000, or should I stick with the 'nearest degree' (or even the co-ords of a parking spot) approach?

I'm sure there are lots of 2p coins out there..

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

I think you should give nearby coordinates for the reasons you listed. In fact, I originally submitted Quantum Entanglement Part 2 at N0°00.000 E0°00.000, and I got an email from the moderators saying I had to change it to nearby coords before they would approve it, so you might not have much choice.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jcmatwf js g wjl, g pjjz ta dgo'a pfam shtfow. Toatwf js g wjl, tm'a mjj wghz mj hfgw. - Lhjcrxj Dghu

It seems silly to post incorrect coordinates in an attempt to work around the travel bug, ummm, bug! I'm sure that was just an oversight and expect it will be fixed soon.

My 2p worth would be to post the coordinates of a suitable car park. This ensures that it is placed in the correct town/county/postcode and that distance calculations (eg for travel bugs) will be as accurate as possible without giving away the exact location of each bit of the multicache. It also helps cachers find a place to park! NB you can't give two caches exactly the same coordinates (except zeros!), but that shouldn't be a problem as I've never seen a car park < 1m square!

Whilst towns/counties are not currently available for cachers outside the US (except on the GeocacheUK stats, whose future is currently uncertain), it is hoped that they will be available soon.

The main benefit of zero coordinates is that it's very obvious what's going on. Of the three options you list, I think rounding to the nearest degree is the worst choice. Posting deliberately incorrect, but otherwise perfectly valid coordinates seems likely to confuse cachers and computer systems alike!

[This message was edited by Teasel on November 28, 2002 at 05:32 AM.]

We set an all zeros cache on one of our Multi-caches and the Approvers did not like it. In retrospect i think it was a misstake. (No-one has done it yet) I now think the best idea is a carpark nearby. Which is the option i used on a different Multi-cache and is much better in all respects.

Tech-no notice

I'd go along with Teasel and suggest using the co-ordinates of a convenient parking spot. Alternatively you could take the approach I used for one of my caches where you had to complete a multi part virtual to attempt the final real cache. I used the co-ordinates of a nearby point of interest so that even if you didn't find the cache it wasn't a wasted visit.

Mind you there are a few caches on the Meridian where E/W 000 00.000 is quite valid icon_smile.gif

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

I originally submitted Quantum Entanglement Part 2 at N0°00.000 E0°00.000, and I got an email from the moderators saying I had to change it to nearby coords before they would approve it, so you might not have much choice.

..Oh very funny. Very very good. I now have a coke-splattered monitor for that...Thankyou very much icon_biggrin.gif

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

...however, to add my bit into the pot, I think that we must avoid situations where we fall foul of a known bug, so therefore move the co-ordinates slightly, until such time as the bug is fixed.

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

quote:

I originally submitted Quantum Entanglement Part 2 at N0°00.000 E0°00.000, and I got an email from the moderators saying I had to change it to nearby coords before they would approve it, so you might not have much choice.

..Oh very funny. Very very good. I now have a coke-splattered monitor for that...Thankyou very much icon_biggrin.gif

Um... did you think this was a joke about quantum uncertainty? It wasn't, I was being completely serious.

No, wait, what I mean is: I'm glad you enjoyed my brilliant joke. What a witty person I am.

Jcmatwf js g wjl, g pjjz ta dgo'a pfam shtfow. Toatwf js g wjl, tm'a mjj wghz mj hfgw. - Lhjcrxj Dghu

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

Was the funny bit the fact that you had coords at N0 0.000, E0 0.000 refused but you were asked to change it to "nearby coords" i.e. coords that were near to N0 0.000, E0 0.000 ?? Perhaps N0 0.001, E0 0.001 for example.

No it wasn't...

It was far more subtle than that.

It was more to do with the nature of the location N0 E0...

I'm still confused.

The act of looking at a quantum particle changes its position. Similarly, I 'placed' Quantum Entanglement at zero zero, but the moderators 'looked' at it and made me change it.

...That's the joke I thought MCL had seen in my post, but his comment above suggests otherwise. Now I haven't got a clue.

quote:

...That's the joke I _thought_ MCL had seen in my post, but his comment above suggests otherwise. Now I haven't got a clue.

Yes it *was* the joke I saw in it. Thats why I was hinting at the location being one virtually guaranteed to make the moderators change it. The reason they made you change it was due, as I said, to the nature of the location. I was trying to hint but not give the game away too easily.

OK everybody? get it now? icon_biggrin.gif