Yet another 500 error: Pocket Queries!

lazyuncle

When I try to submit a pocket query it gives an error 500. This occurs no matter what I put in as the parameters. When I tried to submit a route, it also didn't work: an empty site dialogue box popped up (I.E. "Geocaching.com says: " <blank/>). This is obviously a major error on the server side, so please don't try to blame me. Hope you have this fixed soon, folks in Fremont! 

image.thumb.png.c26be4f4f1f7eb98f6e449e3c01c0466.png --->  image.thumb.png.9d3e16d3a6e871f745c8bcabdc8a74a6.png

After seeing your report, I've just updated a half dozen pocket queries, and created some new pocket queries, across two different browsers (latest versions of Edge and Firefox) and using two different accounts.  I did not see any Error 500 messages. 

What browser(s) and operating system are you using?  Is the behavior persistent or sporadic?

Posted (edited)

The browser and OS should not be a problem with an error 500, for it is a server error and modern browsers have no problems querying servers (with the possible exception of Safari). 

UPDATE: This stopped happening. I wonder what was going on?

EDIT: I might know what happened. I selected "give 500 caches" but also "within 5 MI of coords." I don't think there were 500 caches within 5 miles of the given coordinates.

Edited by lazyuncle
43 minutes ago, lazyuncle said:

EDIT: I might know what happened. I selected "give 500 caches" but also "within 5 MI of coords." I don't think there were 500 caches within 5 miles of the given coordinates.

That wouldn't generate an error, it would simply return as many caches as there are within 5miles, the 500 is simply the upper limit of the number to be returned.

Sounds to me like one of the PQ servers was having trouble and either it's been fixed or you're now directing to a different box which is working OK.

• Helpful 1

This bug appear since serval years and it was reported multiple times. 

I thought a while that it has been fixed, but it hasn't. 

Since I remove my second email address, the bug appears again. So I would assume, that the error is caused by the broken email input on PQs and notifications. (If you only has one email address)

It is a really annoying bug, but i gave up to hope that it will be fixed : (

9 hours ago, Keystone said:

I did not see any Error 500 messages. 

What browser(s) and operating system are you using?  Is the behavior persistent or sporadic?

Error 500 normally means "Internal Server Error", so the clients system doesn't matter. It is an error on server side whitch should never happen in a production release. 

Edited by capoaira
  • Upvote 1

Ok, I research a bit and now I remember what the problem was. My email was not verified but could @Moun10Bike soved it:

Sine I delete my 2nd email address (few days ago) it appears again, so may my first is again not verified? (I receive mails for logs, notifications, PQs, etc anyways). So I would assume that the bug is in the email verification. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 3/24/2024 at 6:41 PM, capoaira said:

Ok, I research a bit and now I remember what the problem was. My email was not verified but could @Moun10Bike soved it:

There was indeed something wrong with your email address(es) and the PQ form was not seeing a validated email address for your account for some reason. I was able to fix the issue by adding your existing email to your account again and validating it. Your account now shows that single, validated address and the PQ form is filling in properly with it.

• Helpful 3