Online log order incorrect

ChriBli

A couple of days ago, I found eight caches in one day, all but one traditional. This is the order in which I found them, last on top:

#8 Björkbackaslingan - Kattåsen
#7 Björkbackaslingan - Ludvigsro
#6 Björkbackaslingan - Promenaden
#5 Björkbackaslingan - Enebuskar
#4 Björkbackaslingan - Åsen
#3 Björkbackaslingan - Grustaget
#2 Lillsjöbacken
#1 Knack, Knack.

However, the last six of them were published on that date and I was FTF on the first two and the last two of those. I therefore logged #1 and #2 online first, before the new six were published. Then I made short FTF logs for #3 and #4, didn't bother with #5 and #6, and again posted FTF logs for #7 and #8 from my phone. In the evening, I edited the logs for #3 and #4, deleted the logs for #7 and #8, wrote new logs for #5 and #6 and finally re-logged #7 and #8. All with the intention of getting the online logs in order while at the same time posting FTF logs as soon as possible.

This did not work well. In "your logs (last 30 days)" it looks like this. The same incorrect order in both old and new find listings. It is hard to understand how #3 and #4 could end up as the last two found, since I did not touch those online logs after writing logs for #5 and #6 and re-posting logs for #7 and #8.

image.png.629f5b28f71df8a9e6df1bd87c589072.png

Even stranger, if I look at "dashboard -> your geocaching logs" the order is the same as above except that the two last are now the two first! So even before the logs that were written before the last six caches were published.

Is this some kind of new behavior? I have never seen it before, and I have on occasion deleted logs and re-posted them to get the order right. More importantly, do I dare to remove all eight logs and re-post them, or will I mess up things completely? I really want my online logs in the right order.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

Were all the logs posted via the same method? (website/app/gsak etc) I can't remember exactly what was the issue but I think it is known that logs submitted via different means can have a different timestamp in the GC database. Someone can elaborate or correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, I also like my logs to appear in the correct order, but I really care only for big milestones.

I also always add exact time of find and a counter to my logs, so the list order is not that important if I need to go back to years old logs to figure out what was the exact order of caches I found on a day.

Edited by ivss_xx
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

In most if not all places ordered by gc.com, logs should be sorted by date (not including time) and then LogID - that is, the order in which they were saved that day.  And logs without a time are shown as 'earlier' (like, per 12am) than logs with a time. To my knowledge, logs should be sorted (each ascending): Year->Month->Date->HasTime(No first)->LogID.  Not sure if that's still the format or if I'm off on it...

But, if one list is showing logs in a different order than another, both on gc.com, that's odd.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
20 hours ago, ivss_xx said:

Were all the logs posted via the same method? (website/app/gsak etc) I can't remember exactly what was the issue but I think it is known that logs submitted via different means can have a different timestamp in the GC database. Someone can elaborate or correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, I also like my logs to appear in the correct order, but I really care only for big milestones.

I also always add exact time of find and a counter to my logs, so the list order is not that important if I need to go back to years old logs to figure out what was the exact order of caches I found on a day.

Makes sense, kind of. I did log using two different methods, phone/app and computer/browser. Of the ones logged by phone, two were later edited on computer, and two were deleted and logged again, also on computer.

This can not fully explain the behavior, but I think I'll risk deleting all eight logs and then posting them again. I have a hunch this will cause issues with FP earnings, but I'll rather have that than unordered logs.

On 3/8/2024 at 9:36 AM, ChriBli said:

Of the ones logged by phone, two were later edited on computer, and two were deleted and logged again, also on computer.

I think that's the key there - two of the ones logged on the phone were deleted and logged on the website. So that would have changed the order proabably.

P.S. I can't advocate enough for posting a find time and a counter on each log. I didn't consistently add the counter up until I found >1000 caches, but writing down the time has been a thing for me since the beginning. So much so that I get really annoyed (for no reason) when people don't write down their exact time of FTF in their logs :D

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, ivss_xx said:

I can't advocate enough for posting a find time and a counter on each log. I didn't consistently add the counter up until I found >1000 caches, but writing down the time has been a thing for me since the beginning. So much so that I get really annoyed (for no reason) when people don't write down their exact time of FTF in their logs :D

We (hubby RattleSnack and I) have been numbering and time-stamping our finds since about #200 or so (now approaching 3000 finds).  I really don't pay attention to the order they show online, but for my own records and review, I enjoy going back to see the #'s and time of day of the finds.  It will often trigger a memory when someone asks a question about once of our finds.  Andif I ever need to see/remember the order we found things, the time stamps are helpful.