'Great Story' - 'Helpful'

Deepdiggingmole

These are two button / links to click on in individual logs if you as a cacher or cache owner feel that the log in question is worthy of clicking either or both of them. 
It'll come up with a number once clicked - I have clicked a few and the number 1 has appeared - presumably if another cacher does likelwise that number will increase
I am aware this feature was started/tested in a few countries to start with (not the UK) but it is now here in the UK and TBH I have not seen any other logs with the number one aganst these other than the ones I have clicked on. 

However my question around this feature is - what does it do ? does it produce stats somewhere - for the cache owner, for the individual logger or is it simply a feature on the cache page that when other cachers look at it they can spot the useful logs - is the cache page searchable for these logs (select most helpful log for example) 

Presumably it went down really well in those initial countries but seems it has not taken off here in the UK - in fact I even think the plane hasn't been fuelled up yet !! - and I believe that because it is something that isnt being used here in the UK, its usefulness is lost on us. 

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
41 minutes ago, Deepdiggingmole said:

what does it do ?

I think it is a feature that will be streamlined in the future because of the small number of users. It tries to do the same as upvote counter here without statistics.

Presumably, if some statistics ever appear, users may start to beg great stories in every log as content creators on YouTube do.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Deepdiggingmole said:

is the cache page searchable for these logs (select most helpful log for example)

On the cache page just above the logs is Order By:

image.png.28ba3d2cc6b512dcdb38c44edd322f86.png

This can be changed to Best Story or Most Helpful which order the logs by their upvotes.

At least in these parts, this feature is so rarely used that trying to sort logs this way is pretty futile.

• Upvote 3

I haven't seen a "Helpful" or a "great story" clicked since it started, other-than the occasional gag after a TFTC log and either are clicked.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was in "stats" somewhere, but it wouldn't mean much here...

• Upvote 1
On 3/3/2024 at 9:47 PM, barefootjeff said:

On the cache page just above the logs is Order By:

image.png.28ba3d2cc6b512dcdb38c44edd322f86.png

This can be changed to Best Story or Most Helpful which order the logs by their upvotes.

At least in these parts, this feature is so rarely used that trying to sort logs this way is pretty futile.

Hadnt spotted that thanks  - so at least there is a 'sort' process
However as others have said as it seems this is such an underused feature (certainly is here in the UK) clicking on these wont change much - an example I clicked on my most found cache which has over 1000 finds and .... 3 had 'Great story' and none had 'helpful' !!!

It may not be used much, but if it is used and its relevance when used outweighs its misuse, then there's no harm in it being there. Don't need to use if you don't want to.  I often see a vote or two here and there, and most often they are used properly.  So it really depends on whether the geocacher landscape around that cache has anyone who just wants to ruffle feathers by intentionally misusing the feature. Otherwise, it's a net positive, so may as well let it be rather than complaining to have it removed  :antenna:

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1