Challenge Caches

Challenge Caches are a type of mystery cache. They have the word 'challenge' in the title and the challenge cache attribute. If they are not specifically marked as premium, I think you should be able to see them on the website, same as any other mystery cache? I'm not too sure how premium vs. non-premium works currently though. 

Some areas will have a lot more than others, around me there's entire parks and trails filled with only challenge caches. Anyone can make one. There's something called a Challenge-Checker on the cache page that automatically will show you if you qualify. You can sign the logbook anytime, but only log it as found once you qualify. 

The challenges could be something very easy (find 50 caches) or something much more difficult (find a cache everyday for 365 days). 

2.12 in the help centre explains all the details, and you can learn about every other cache type there as well :)

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=206

• Upvote 1

Depending on how you access the cache information, you should be able to complete challenges.

If you get the cache details via an app on a phone, you may be restricted to which caches you can find, to be eligible for certain challenge caches.

(Some apps restrict the type and level of difficulty and terrain for basic members)

• Upvote 1

You've already got a couple answers about how they work, so other than linking to a help center article, I'll leave it there.

Edit, forgot my links!

Hide a challenge

Find a challenge

On 2/10/2024 at 10:47 AM, Isabella2017 said:

How does one find out about challenges? Are they only available to premium members?

Astonishingly, there don't seem to be too many near where you have hidden caches, but there are many down in the Saint Louis area. The searches that you can do on geocaching.com are limited, because you're not a premium member, but you may be able to use the challenge cache map tool at project-gc (this may require project-gc membership).

While any given cache might be premium member only, challenge caches as a whole are not necessarily available only to premium members. Though as a puzzle/mystery type cache, they will not show up in the official geocaching app for basic members.

I don't go for all challenge caches. I love county challenges, which require finds in every county in a given state, because they give me some structure and an excuse to explore. Other challenges might focus on things I don't enjoy as much, like, "Find 50 caches with the climbing gear required attribute." I don't like heights or climbing, so I would not seek this one. But for someone who enjoys combining climbing and geocaching, this would be right up their alley.

Edited to clarify that ? caches will not display in the official app for basic members.

Edited by geoawareUSA9
4 hours ago, geoawareUSA9 said:

They are not available only to premium members, though they may not show up in the official geocaching app if the difficulty or terrain rating are too high

The official app only shows traditionals and events for basic members, so challenges won't appear at all in that, regardless of D/T rating. You'll need to use the website and/or a different app.

• Helpful 5
On 2/11/2024 at 1:01 PM, barefootjeff said:
On 2/11/2024 at 8:53 AM, geoawareUSA9 said:

They are not available only to premium members, though they may not show up in the official geocaching app if the difficulty or terrain rating are too high

The official app only shows traditionals and events for basic members, so challenges won't appear at all in that, regardless of D/T rating.

Of course. That slipped my mind. Thank you.

On 2/10/2024 at 10:47 AM, Isabella2017 said:

I am a basic member and have been since 2016. I am seeing forum posts about challenge caches and qualifying, or not, for a challenge. So what's the deal with these challenges? How does one find out about challenges? Are they only available to premium members? 

Just an fyi, since you are a basic member interested in challenge caches:

Screenshot_20240217-173926.thumb.png.a2afa4e5ea454d33fc58564db5b733ff.png