Danube Cruise GeoTrail

This depends where the boat docks. On a river cruise I would mainly get off and go for a walk to cache rather than go on the tour. Many of the local caches gave information about the area, so like being on a tour, without making me feel I was a dog on a leash as organised tours made me feel. I would get such 'itchy' feet. When is this tour ending; when is this tour ending...? I want to do my thing...cache; take nice photographs, often of things not shown on tours. Graffiti, alley ways, etc. Such as attached photograph - NOT taken on a tour, but me exploring and caching.

There are many caches available. You should have no trouble finding at least one cache in every country. I found more than that. I list the number of caches I found in each country to give you an idea how easy it is to find caches.

Hungary 32 (start of cruise, so I arrived a couple of days earlier to look around and cache)

Austria 11

Germany 44 (some of these were found earlier, but still many found on the cruise)

Slovakia 8

Netherlands 26 (end of cruise, so found during and after the cruise)

I loaded my GPS with caches and mainly used that. I preloaded caches onto my laptop as a back up, but loaded a fresh load onto the GPS. The back up was only if I was unable to load the latest query. My river cruise boat included wi-fi, but I also bought a local European simcard, that worked in all the countries on my trip, except (for some strange reason) Austria, which wasn't included in the countries list. But I had my GPS.

Passau 9.jpg  (I was told how to make this smaller, but can't remember how.)

Edited by Goldenwattle
12 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

This depends where the boat docks. On a river cruise I would mainly get off and go for a walk to cache rather than go on the tour. Many of the local caches gave information about the area, so like being on a tour, without making me feel I was a dog on a leash as organised tours made me feel. I would get such 'itchy' feet. When is this tour ending; when is this tour ending...? I want to do my thing...cache; take nice photographs, often of things not shown on tours. Graffiti, alley ways, etc. Such as attached photograph - NOT taken on a tour, but me exploring and caching.

There are many caches available. You should have no trouble finding at least one cache in every country. I found more than that. I list the number of caches I found in each country to give you an idea how easy it is to find caches.

Hungary 32 (start of cruise, so I arrived a couple of days earlier to look around and cache)

Austria 11

Germany 44 (some of these were found earlier, but still many found on the cruise)

Slovakia 8

Netherlands 26 (end of cruise, so found during and after the cruise)

I loaded my GPS with caches and mainly used that. I preloaded caches onto my laptop as a back up, but loaded a fresh load onto the GPS. The back up was only if I was unable to load the latest query. My river cruise boat included wi-fi, but I also bought a local European simcard, that worked in all the countries on my trip, except (for some strange reason) Austria, which wasn't included in the countries list. But I had my GPS.

Passau 9.jpg  (I was told how to make this smaller, but can't remember how.)

Huh. I pictured you somewhat older.

Well, you really never know online!

• Funny 4
8 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Huh. I pictured you somewhat older.

Well, you really never know online!

:laughing: Not blonde either, despite my name.

Now, if I had been in a tour group I doubt the child would have posed so naturally. And likely others on tour would have got in the way of the photograph. I was about to photograph the coloured paths, when the child walked out from the right and stood there. Lucky moment, as she improved the photograph. Her parents were close behind.

On our Danube/Main/Rhine cruise in 2018 I just loaded PQs for each city stop. We joined the (included) cruise tours which were all very interesting and mostly done before lunch. This left the afternoon free to do other stuff including geocaching which took us to not so familiar tourist spots which were still very intersting. We didn't feel like we had to find them all and, looking back, there were a lots of things in the tours of historical interest - to us. We could also pick up a few quick finds along the way.

One thing I noticed were a lot of Virtuals however many were time consuming with many stages . We gave those a miss (it's all about the numbers init :P).

• Upvote 2