New concept feature-random geocache

I have just thought of a new feature, and I just thought it would be a good idea. I really like the idea of where you can pick a distance (within 10km, 100km, etc.) and the app will pick a cache randomly for you. I just thought it would be a good idea. That’s all.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
13 hours ago, LaNoRy said:

I have just thought of a new feature, and I just thought it would be a good idea. I really like the idea of where you can pick a distance (within 10km, 100km, etc.) and the app will pick a cache randomly for you. I just thought it would be a good idea. That’s all.

I am reminded of the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button on the Google search page...

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
22 hours ago, LaNoRy said:

I have just thought of a new feature, and I just thought it would be a good idea. I really like the idea of where you can pick a distance (within 10km, 100km, etc.) and the app will pick a cache randomly for you. I just thought it would be a good idea. 

With my luck, the "app" would pick all low D/T caches that I wouldn't do even when the other 2/3rds was a FTF hound...    :laughing:

6 hours ago, Mausebiber said:

Do you really think it is a good idea to drive 100 Km (one way) just for this random selected cache?

I've often travelled that distance for just one cache, most recently for GCA8WQY at Sandy Hollow in the upper Hunter Valley (150km in a straight line but 220km by road). I also own a cache (GC9ZM7G) that's a similar distance from home. Almost all my caching now is more than 40km from home (straight line) as new caches closer than that are a rare treat these days. I'll use public transport (trains, buses and ferries) if I can but often that's not an option. Before retiring, my daily commute to the office was over 40km each way (5km bike ride, 37km train trip and 1.4km walk). Distances don't mean much here because everything is a long way away.

• Helpful 1
19 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Distances don't mean much here because everything is a long way away.

Yes, this is right for you, but there is much more than Australia.  You have about 0,025 Cache / km² while we have about 3,35 Cache / km².  If I travel 100 km I will pass about 500 Cache.

But this is not the point.  None has to follow this new Idea, you could just ignore it.

The statement was "I just thought it would be a good idea" and I don't agree.

• Helpful 1

This would be a fun feature, even if I didn't want to find the cache it chose it could help me choose an area to go that day. Some type of similar feature that showed me areas or directions that I've cached the least, or that there's the highest density of unfound caches could be interesting too. 

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1