Rotate image 90° to the right button doesn't work

ardila.nl

Because the geocaching app still uploads portrait images as landscape you sometimes have rotate the images in the website to fix this.

And I can click the "rotate 90° right button" and the preview changes but the result is not saved.

Even Ctrl + F5 does nothing

Firefox 121.0.1 (64-bit)

simplescreenrecorder-2024-01-15_09_56.04(1).gif.71c7083f7ad78e7db6b5be4fabad2ff8.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

I just encountered this bug. I hope that HQ has acknowledged this and added it to a list of bugs to fix. It would also be nice if we could rotate the picture via the phone app at the time we are posting. I post the required selfies for Virtuals and Earthcaches when I log from my phone and they nearly all need to be rotated later. I often don't think to do so unless I am updating a note to a find after submitting answers.

On 1/30/2024 at 11:00 PM, SnowstormMK said:

Hmm, I am unable to repro this. I tested both in Firefox and Chrome, and using the rotate button worked as intended. Are you running any browser scripts that might interfer with the page?

uBlock Origin and Tampermonkey for the Project-GC script.
I disabled both in Chrome and tried again. Same result, it shows the image as rotated but it doesn't save

I am seeing this in the console

image.png.4fcbcc8a8faab37b3981f74b5030b182.png

Photo image rotations can be finnicky. There's the hard data for the image pixels and there's the EXIF data stating the rotation of the phone that it decided to store with the photo meta data. Even then there's no guarantee the image captured was correctly captured. The function could strip the EXIF tag and keep the data as is, or it could update the EXIF tag to what it infers from the aspect ratio, or it could rotate the image data to what it thinks matches the EXIF data.  It's quite possible that in some cases the data and the exif could be wrong, in which case if the rotate function assumes one is correct, it may never produce the right result (eg, sometimes the phone doesn't sense the device orientation correctly and stores it wrong in a photo)

Ultimately, the best rotate function I think for display on a web page (as opposed to camera archival) is to strip the EXIF rotation tag, and let the user visually decide which orientation the image data should be.  Don't know if that's what the function on GC does.

Just thought I'd weigh in :)

• Helpful 1