Formatting logs into columns

Gill & Tony

Many challenge caches ask for a list of qualifying caches.  Is there a way to format this list into columns?

Multiple spaces get compressed into one.  I can't see how to insert tabs, and I'm not sure that would work anyway.  There doesn't seem to be a markup language tag for this.

Am I missing something, or just wasting my time?

Thanks

Tony

40 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

Many challenge caches ask for a list of qualifying caches.

Is there a significant number of pre-moratorium challenges in your area? If a challenge was published afterwards, the guidelines say that you do not need to provide a list of qualifying caches:

For cache pages published after April 21, 2015 with a challenge checker, the owner can confirm the finder's qualification with the checker when the cache is logged as found. No further documentation is required from the finder.

43 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

I'm not sure that would work anyway.

Markdown eliminates extra spaces, so yes, it would not work.

43 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

There doesn't seem to be a markup language tag for this.

Some versions of Markdown support tables, but it does not appear that Geocaching.com's version does.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Many challenge caches ask for a list of qualifying caches.  Is there a way to format this list into columns?

Multiple spaces get compressed into one.  I can't see how to insert tabs, and I'm not sure that would work anyway.  There doesn't seem to be a markup language tag for this.

Just enter *four blanks* at the beginning of each line to force a monospaced font:

image.png.d78ce42e5c233b6aec99c70974ed2e50.png

• Helpful 3
10 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Am I missing something, or just wasting my time?

Yes, you are missing a poorly-documented feature.  Four blanks at the start of each line.  With a blank line above them, BTW.

On 1/8/2024 at 5:31 AM, RCH65 said:

Just enter *four blanks* at the beginning of each line to force a monospaced font.

I didn't know about that.

Thank you RCH65!

And if your table columns are already separated by tabs, you can use this tool to convert the table to monospaced font text:
https://onlinetsvtools.com/convert-tsv-to-text

Then, all you have to do is insert 4 spaces at the beginning of each line.

Edited by OusKonNé & Cétyla