Merry Christmas to all, AND a question for our Esteemed Bootron

ScroogieII

Again, a belated MERRY CHRISTMAS to each and everyone here, which includes you, Bootron.

I hope everyone here has gotten the Christmas Gifts for which they'd wished, and even that they'd wished for gifts, personal or plural, for all of humanity.

Given that this is SUCH a belated Christmas wish, I shall also include a Happy Boxing Day wish for the Brits and the Canuckys, the Aussies and the Kiwis!!!!

Anyhow, to get to the gist of this post, Bootron,, I just approved This Waymark in Nevada Historical Markers. Though I could perceive no HTML nor CSS being employed in the Waymark, the text in the "Marker Text " section of the the Waymark was produced with no formatting, the entirety run together into a single, long, difficult to follow, paragraph. The original as written, or, in this case, copied, as is specified in the category, was posted with paragraph breaks, which were apparently ignored by the server in the approved Waymark, the whole becoming a single long paragraph.

After approving, I inserted the appropriate paragraph breaks in the simplest manner of which I'm aware (<br><br>) to make it more readable.

So, my question to you, Bootron, is this:

Have I simply experienced yet another glitch, or is this a more deep rooted problem, inadvertently introduced by recent "changes, improvements & updates" with which Waymarkers non-conversant in HTML/CSS may have to deal in the future?

Will it soon become necessary for Groundspeak to stage (costly) regional seminars, educating all and sundry in the fundamentals of HTML and CSS? NAW! better you check your code.

BTW Bootron - the little black "Enter your text, hold ctl and right click for more options" banner, which constantly follows me around in my footsteps, I REALLY DON'T NEED in front of my face throughout the construction of this, or ANY, post!!! In my 73.5 years on this planet I have endured a great many "less that brilliant" ideas here, and elsewhere, and this one is right up there with the best (read worst) of them. BTW, when I DO hold ctl and right click, the only two options I find are "Paste" or "Paste without Formatting" - the latter helpful but equally available without the ctl. It's available on pretty much everyone's menu box which appears after a "right click". DUH!

PLEASE, PLEASE do something MORE constructive with that aggravating little chunk of code that sends us that utterly useless little black box, like sending it, bequeathing it to ... ... (well here I'm barred from mentioning anything, or anywhere, even slightly resembling a political vein, so we'll have to leave it to your imagination.)

Otherwise, your Everlasting Fan, Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
On 12/26/2023 at 3:31 AM, ScroogieII said:

Though I could perceive no HTML nor CSS being employed in the Waymark, the text in the "Marker Text " section of the the Waymark was produced with no formatting, the entirety run together into a single, long, difficult to follow, paragraph. The original as written, or, in this case, copied, as is specified in the category, was posted with paragraph breaks, which were apparently ignored by the server in the approved Waymark, the whole becoming a single long paragraph.

That is the way it has been for quite some years. Paragraphs (line break characters that is) do only work in the long description.  All other multi-line text boxes do need HTML tags like <br> or <p> for formatting.

10 hours ago, fi67 said:

That is the way it has been for quite some years. Paragraphs (line break characters that is) do only work in the long description.  All other multi-line text boxes do need HTML tags like <br> or <p> for formatting.

Thanks Fi Guy. I was unaware of that, but it's strange that I hadn't noticed that before. Mebbe it has been happening all along and I didn't notice.

3 hours ago, FamilieFrohne said:

Well, also a belated Merry Christmas to you (and the other waymarkers).

Yours, Erik.

In return, how about a belated Happy Boxing Day back at ya!