Retrieve waypoints to create a cache from the Montana 700i.

RonGerth

Probably not the right place to ask but here goes.  I recently upgraded to a Montana 700i after my old Oregon died on me.  I want to pull some waypoints off of it so that I can average them and use them to place a cache.  I used to go to GSAK and download them into a database and do it there.  This unit is not supported by GSAK (from what I can find or see) for pulling waypoints off of the unit onto a computer.  What do you all use?  Is there another program to do this?

Thanks

Ron Gerth

GSAK is a geocache database, not a waypoint database. It does support Montana (I use one myself) but only for geocaches.

To retreive waypoints, you need a program like Garmin BaseCamp, EasyGPS, or any other program which supports gpx files. There are even online solutions, like Garmin Explore.

You can find the waypoints you created in the folder \Garmin\GPX\ on your Montana. The file name contains the date you created the waypoints.

34 minutes ago, StefandD said:

GSAK is a geocache database, not a waypoint database. It does support Montana (I use one myself) but only for geocaches.

To retreive waypoints, you need a program like Garmin BaseCamp, EasyGPS, or any other program which supports gpx files.

That's definitely wrong. You may open any GPX waypoint files from GSAK's gui. There are macros to fetch waypoints from Garmin units as well.

91cfa52b031a2495dff730a237306459.png

Happy Learning

Hans

Edited by HHL
On 11/17/2023 at 5:45 PM, RonGerth said:

I want to pull some waypoints off of it so that I can average them and use them to place a cache.

Actually this averaging should be done on the Garmin unit itself whilst creating the waypoint.

Re: Pulling the waypoints: Set your unit's USB connection to "Mass Storage Mode".

Re: GSAK support: just use another supported Montana unit in GSAK's settings.

Hans