upload image error (and temporal solution)

Orxion

When adding a new image (uploading while creating geocache/event) to the listing, it shows an error (can't add it, PNG, JPG, etc), but as I found out, there is a simple "trick" to it .. just hit the button "rotate 90°" and hit it 4 times to rotate the image by 360° and it "fix" whatever the problem was and the image is accepted 

• Funny 2
  • Helpful 2

I faced this bug today when I tried to add an image to my unpublished cache page gallery. I forgot to try this "rotate trick" but I managed to upload the image by using the image tool in the editor, instead of adding the image to the gallery.

image.png.bec4f055e59195b6bdf7b1d8eb8ade00.png

This must be connected to the new logging experience because the image upload feature has the same new look.

Now I tried to rotate the image and it worked as explained in the OP.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:58 PM, arisoft said:

I faced this bug today when I tried to add an image to my unpublished cache page gallery. I forgot to try this "rotate trick" but I managed to upload the image by using the image tool in the editor, instead of adding the image to the gallery.

This must be connected to the new logging experience because the image upload feature has the same new look.

I spent a good half-hour last weekend trying to upload a picture for use on a cache page.  That error message, shown above, is completely unacceptable for a production system.  I finally solved mine by renaming the file on my system.  I have been having these errors for the last week on multiple new cache pages.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
On 11/15/2023 at 12:58 AM, arisoft said:

I had exactly the same, I resized the .jpg, converted it to .png and kept getting the same error, until I eventually remembered to rotate it and it uploaded.

This is a very poor error message with no hint as to why it was failing.

Edited by MartyBartfast
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

The great idea from the first post is fine. Sometimes the fourth rotation is not ended and the picture remains turned 270 degress only. Adding one rotation more isn't sufficient solution due to the picture is during this operation renamed (WHY?) and it's neccesary to edit the listing once more.

But there's another messy issue - the pictures hasn't been shrinked almost to icons before this bad update. Now there is included a tiny picture instead of a big one.

It all has been worked before, please return the functionality you've provided.

1 hour ago, taxoft said:

But there's another messy issue - the pictures hasn't been shrinked almost to icons before this bad update. Now there is included a tiny picture instead of a big one.

It all has been worked before, please return the functionality you've provided.

It is a matter of ongoing astonishment that this code was put on a production server with so many big bugs.  However, there is still a hack to get the full-sized picture.  When you click on the picture to view it in a new window, you get a long URL ending with either "_l.jpg" or "_s.jpg".   Remove the "_l" or "_s" (but leave the ".jpg" at the end) and reload the page and you should get your full-sized picture.  Use that URL to embed your picture into the cache page if needed.   I think that may require that you use the <souce> version of the cache page editor.

Yes, it is a ridiculously complicated workaround.  No, there is no excuse for why it's necessary.  But at least it is possible.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 4

And for now the result is: uploaded picture turned 270 degrees instead of 360 degress after four rotations. The picture editing page sometimes appears, sometimes doesn't. And when it appears, it is impossible to Update the picture rotated once again.

I've asked in the past already - is there any developer who plays geocaching at all? And in the case he plays - is he using the website for creating listings? I assume that there's no such a person. :-(

Edited by taxoft
  • Upvote 2
On 12/6/2023 at 2:03 PM, taxoft said:

And for now the result is: uploaded picture turned 270 degrees instead of 360 degress after four rotations. The picture editing page sometimes appears, sometimes doesn't. And when it appears, it is impossible to Update the picture rotated once again.

I've resorted to rotating the images locally and then uploading the rotated image with a rotation that undoes the one done locally.  

When these problems first appeared I figured that it was just minor bugs in the new code, because surely they had tested the code before releasing it, right?

It's now been about a month.  And the problems have not been fixed.  It must be beyond embarrassing to HQ to have such low-quality code on the public face.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2

Since several hours I experience problem with background image in listing. When I add it in the editing form, it seems ok (thumb is shown as it should), but when I press "Save" button it crashes and shows this:

image.thumb.png.21ee7cdd65ae865058cf3fde88a9f31c.png

Text editions without adding image are saved properly.