Profile is corrupted ... why?

Viajero Perdido

I just glanced at my profile.  It's a mess!

Newlines are gone everywhere (especially noticeable on mine toward the bottom), and a block of text - including at least one image and surrounding text - is gone completely.

I haven't edited my profile text in months, the most recent change being to update a section of text+image that are now gone.  And I verified it looked good at the time before dusting my hands and forgetting about it.

A "pocket edit" on the phone wouldn't carefully remove all the newlines.

I'm off travelling right now, so can't debug this on the PC.  Both my Android devices, both running the current Brave with no other browsers, show the same mess.  Is Brave the problem, or have our esteemed hosts changed something?

Edited by Viajero Perdido
Grammar, detail correction
1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

I just glanced at my profile.  It's a mess!

Newlines are gone everywhere (especially noticeable on mine toward the bottom), and a block of text - including at least one image and surrounding text - is gone completely.

I haven't edited my profile text in months, the most recent change being to update a section of text+image that are now gone.  And I verified it looked good at the time before dusting my hands and forgetting about it.

A "pocket edit" on the phone wouldn't carefully remove all the newlines.

I'm off travelling right now, so can't debug this on the PC.  Both my Android tablets, both running the current Brave with no other browsers, show the same mess.  Is Brave the problem, or have our esteemed hosts changed something?

Your line feeds are missing?  I notice that the Profile is not centered on screen, and it appears to me to not be as wide as before.  This may be to accommodate the ad bar which is recent, at the right side of the Profile.

My Profile has at least one missing line feed, and some extra space.  The spacing has become not uniform, and it's not clear to me what has changed, by looking at the source code.  I just have some text and a few images, not a lot of stuff.  I have been required to "fix" it over the years, as new site styles occurred.  Lots of people lost embedded items such as banners and stats.  My Profile mostly uses components within the "Geocaching.com" servers.

5 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Messing up user-created content is a big deal.

But GS seems to like changing user's content. Also the changes of the smilies has change the meaning auf the posted content. Which is IMO more serious then a bit formating issues.

• Upvote 2

I'd like to add: The input tags I'm using on my profile for tabs and other expand/collaps functions are also gone from my profile.

Some mouse over functions do work: Expanding the banners and changing the world map to Europe, but the state maps don't function any more.

My profile: https://www.geocaching.com/p/?guid=e5f367d0-e705-44b0-926b-c5c7a7b9b975

Private statistics page: https://geomap.technetium.be/stats/PR16K0J.html (Same code as on the profile page)

Private maps page: https://geomap.technetium.be/stats/map-PR16K0J.html

Please revert this update.

Tc

Edited by technetium
  • Upvote 2
9 hours ago, capoaira said:

But GS seems to like changing user's content. Also the changes of the smilies has change the meaning auf the posted content. Which is IMO more serious then a bit formating issues.

And IMHO, dropping BBCode in logs (in favor of Markdown) caused more serious issues.

13 hours ago, niraD said:

And IMHO, dropping BBCode in logs (in favor of Markdown) caused more serious issues.

But the meaning of the content was not changed. 

I would like if GS change thinks in logs, it should only affect logs AFTER the change. That would save the original meaning and therefore it cannot be misinterpreted. 

On 11/1/2023 at 8:18 PM, worrellsquirrel said:

Hello all,

Thank you for the reports. Our engineers are aware of this issue and are investigating the root cause. We appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

Hello @worrellsquirrel,

Did you get feedback of your engineers? I see a lot of tag (like input and label) and attributes (like type and tabindex) are removed from the served html code. (When editing my profile they are still present) Is it possible to make the list of allowed html codes a little less strict?

Tc