"proposed monument" waymarkable?

Right now I'm creating many waymarks in Moldova. In my research I found something, that I haven't seen so far:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_the_Victims_of_the_Soviet_Occupation says that this is a "Proposed Monument". There is a stone with an inscription saying that a "monument will be built in this place". However, I (personally) would judge that stone to be a monument already. I plan to post it to the "Monuments of the Eastern Freedomfights" category and am curious, if they will accept it. So, I don't really have a question about it, but thought that I should share that with you. Have you ever seen something similar?

On 10/20/2023 at 3:21 AM, PISA-caching said:

Right now I'm creating many waymarks in Moldova. In my research I found something, that I haven't seen so far:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_the_Victims_of_the_Soviet_Occupation says that this is a "Proposed Monument". There is a stone with an inscription saying that a "monument will be built in this place". However, I (personally) would judge that stone to be a monument already. I plan to post it to the "Monuments of the Eastern Freedomfights" category and am curious, if they will accept it. So, I don't really have a question about it, but thought that I should share that with you. Have you ever seen something similar?

According to the Wiki page, whether or not it is accurate and believable, "A commemorative stone was unveiled on 28 June 2010" , so you should have no problem.

Yet further:

"In English, the inscription on the stone reads:

In this place will be built a monument in memory of the victims of Soviet occupation and the totalitarian communist regime."

Kinda difficult to say that what you have is as yet a true monument. It will be up to the officers.

Keep us posted.

Keith

EDIT:

After a few more moments thought, were I an officer in the proposed category, I would have to vote with a "Nay". The stone only bespeaks a future monument and does not declare itself a monument. Sorry, Andreas, but much as I know you'd love to have a Waymark in said category in said country, I don't believe this one should fly.

Again, keep us posted.

Edited by ScroogieII
On 10/25/2023 at 2:45 AM, ScroogieII said:

After a few more moments thought, were I an officer in the proposed category, I would have to vote with a "Nay". The stone only bespeaks a future monument and does not declare itself a monument. Sorry, Andreas, but much as I know you'd love to have a Waymark in said category in said country, I don't believe this one should fly.

Unfortunately I have a different opinion. In principle I would agree with you, but in this particular case it was decided by an interim president to build a monument. But the Constitutional Court later ruled that the decision was unconstitutional - whatever that means. Apparently people in the Republic of Moldova cannot agree on whether the monument should be erected now or the placeholder monument should be removed. So, in a way, it is a perfect monument to remember the freedom fighters, because as you can see, Moldova is still not 100% free from Russian influences.

• Helpful 2
8 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Unfortunately I have a different opinion. In principle I would agree with you, but in this particular case it was decided by an interim president to build a monument. But the Constitutional Court later ruled that the decision was unconstitutional - whatever that means. Apparently people in the Republic of Moldova cannot agree on whether the monument should be erected now or the placeholder monument should be removed. So, in a way, it is a perfect monument to remember the freedom fighters, because as you can see, Moldova is still not 100% free from Russian influences.

I, once again, find that I must completely agree with your sentiment, as outlined above, with regard to just why this/that Waymark should ultimately have been approved.

Knowing the backstory of a site or item is, or at least can be, hugely important in assessing our treatment of a submission, whether it should, or should not be, included in the historical database that we, together, create.

I'm now quite happy :D that the item in question, and its attendant Waymark, now have the requisite backstory which elevates them to notable status.

All in all, Andreas, well done in your defense of said historical marker, as exhibited in The Waymark itself, as well as the above!

Keith

• Helpful 1

Occasionally a submitted Waymark can fall in to the' grey area' of is it/is it not accepted.

As an officer, if the Waymarker can provide the requested photos, and a good written description I'm happy to accept - or at least put it to the vote with fellow officers saying why I think it's an acceptable Waymark.

Put in the work, and you stand a good chance of it being accepted.

Congratulations on getting it accepted!

• Helpful 2

Local geocacher of Chisinau here. In my opinion, the proposed monument may be forgotten already. There hasn't been changes to it even today. There was a statue of the popular figurehead of "Lenin, father of the Soviet Union". After the dissolution of the soviet union, it has been decided to bring it down, and a part of the statue still sits at a soviet open-air museum. Personally, I don't think that this monument will be build anytime soon. There has been many attempts to build it, but without succes. I will update you if there will be any changes to the monument. And I will also try to find/complete/see some waymarks. Thanks for filling Chisinau with loads of them!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
On 12/5/2023 at 6:31 PM, dR4GONdd said:

Thanks for filling Chisinau with loads of them!

You're welcome. Unfortunately I spent only a short time in Moldova. Otherwise I would have been able to create many more, but your city offers enough interesting sights to create more waymark, IF you should ever decide to create your own.

On 12/5/2023 at 9:31 AM, dR4GONdd said:

Local geocacher of Chisinau here. In my opinion, the proposed monument may be forgotten already. There hasn't been changes to it even today. There was a statue of the popular figurehead of "Lenin, father of the Soviet Union". After the dissolution of the soviet union, it has been decided to bring it down, and a part of the statue still sits at a soviet open-air museum. Personally, I don't think that this monument will be build anytime soon. There has been many attempts to build it, but without succes. I will update you if there will be any changes to the monument. And I will also try to find/complete/see some waymarks. Thanks for filling Chisinau with loads of them!

And Thank You! for the information, as provided by a "Local". Information such as this is often "gold" for those who travel to unknown lands, thence tear their hair out in the effort to bring to light information on all that they've experienced while there.

Again - THANK YOU!!! dR4GONdd (Can't, for the life of me, think of how to pronounce that, though. :D )

Keith