would like to do this on our texas route 66

kittytx

If you are asking about FINDING caches:  Since you're a premium member, you can the use "caches along a route" functionality.  You can also just pan the map across your route and click on individual caches, putting the ones that interest you onto a List (another premium member feature).  Both the List or a Route pocket query can either be downloaded to your handheld GPS, or be available on your smartphone app.

If you are asking about HIDING caches:  Consider an official GeoTour to partner with Geocaching HQ and feature your portion of Route 66.  Or, set up an informal "geotrail" of caches hidden by your account.  Read the Help Center section on hiding caches for details.

Edited by Keystone
  • Helpful 1

Max and 99

No .... i a member with & on the board with Texas Route 66 Association  was talking with one of our other board members to   maybe try top Actually have 'caches; ON Route 66  

Interstate 40 IS NOT ROUTE 66  We still have the Old Road across our state   So  Our  'Roadies could stay on the Old Road  &  do the 'cache' finds

It was an Idea as we have NO IDEA  IF could do this Or where to start.. BUT we have Old Route 66 to the Oklahoma & New Mexico state lines as Actually is from California to Illinois It Still in 90% of its locations you can drive on Old Route 66  but as said we dont know if it could be done with out a lot of Do's & Don'ts LOL

thank you kitty

7 minutes ago, kittytx said:

Max and 99

No .... i a member with & on the board with Texas Route 66 Association  was talking with one of our other board members to   maybe try top Actually have 'caches; ON Route 66  

Interstate 40 IS NOT ROUTE 66  We still have the Old Road across our state   So  Our  'Roadies could stay on the Old Road  &  do the 'cache' finds

It was an Idea as we have NO IDEA  IF could do this Or where to start.. BUT we have Old Route 66 to the Oklahoma & New Mexico state lines as Actually is from California to Illinois It Still in 90% of its locations you can drive on Old Route 66  but as said we dont know if it could be done with out a lot of Do's & Don'ts LOL

thank you kitty

That sounds like a yes.

I dont know what all a geo tour involves BUT the few  of us Work  & they are business owners on the route  as our old road  we are Really Spread out LOL&  we have a lot of folks that do run the old roads BUT so many Think Interstate 40 is Route 66 It Is NOT like Cadillac ranch is across the interstate  40  from Route 66 Big Texan Is NOT on Route 66 when it first opened in the 60's It Was On the route BUT its Current location is not

As said Have No Idea even where  or what .. to begin     an ALL  what's involved

tks kitty

8 minutes ago, kittytx said:

I dont know what all a geo tour involves BUT the few  of us Work  & they are business owners on the route  as our old road  we are Really Spread out LOL&  we have a lot of folks that do run the old roads BUT so many Think Interstate 40 is Route 66 It Is NOT like Cadillac ranch is across the interstate  40  from Route 66 Big Texan Is NOT on Route 66 when it first opened in the 60's It Was On the route BUT its Current location is not

As said Have No Idea even where  or what .. to begin     an ALL  what's involved

tks kitty

I think you're off to a good start by asking here in the forums. 

A Geotour is a collection of geocaches placed by a city or organization to bring in tourism. There is a fee involved, of which the amount is a secret. But if you go to the bottom of every geocache page and click on the help center there's a contact us button and you can ask someone just to give you some information on the price involved. 

Or you could do it the free way, and just place geocaches along Route 66.

I think the first step is to identify some places you would want to place geocaches. They have to be a minimum 528 ft from all other physical stages of other geocaches. 1/10 mile.

So if you can identify some places that you would like to place a geocache and see if there's already one there that's a huge start!

They do need to be placed with permission, but it sounds like that's something you'd already have covered.

Ask away if you have any other questions!

well thank you! 

its best when u don't know a flipping thing  about things such as this Go  Find someone Who Does!

im not sure about a 'FEE" as our Route 66 Assoc we are a Non Profit Org,

So would they send us information on how to do this as can share with some of our other board members   As looking on some on the 'maps' There's isnt anything really on the Actual Route 66 Road & see have to learn about them geocaches  the 'who what why & where' so to speak .LOL 

Ok so  winter be here before long we have enough blacktop all the way  So no one would have to trek off in /on dirt or unsafe areas   we wouldn't do that anyway. =) 

i think  the forums is my best bet to 'learn & take Notes & have some kind of idea about everything So when we are ready & at that point to place caches Soo How to you 'register them or label them?? LOL  We need a beginner 101 i think! LOL

kitty

On the website you can click on hide a cache and it'll ask you for basic information like the title, the coordinates a little description which is where you put the history of route 66, etc. 

At the bottom of every page click on the help center and there are some great resources just to get some basic information on geocaching! 

And yes HQ can give you info to bring back to your board. 

Lots of people enjoy traveling to find Geo tours! Some tours even provide a reward for completing all of the geocaches in the tour (like a trackable coin or tag). 

*If you click on my profile you will see some of the rewards I've gotten from Geo tours.

Edited by Max and 99
17 minutes ago, kittytx said:

good morning from  Texas panhandle everyone!

I'm kitty & a member of the Texas route 66 association    & a couple of us have talked about doing  something like this on our Old Route 66 the 179 miles across Texas ,. Route 66  is NOT Interstate 40 We still have the 'old road over here   as the other 7 states do as well,.  as we are a none profit  We would be interested in doing this  for Fun for our many travelers . As we have  some younger 'roadies' as well,,,  Not being familiar  with all the aspects  of geocaching i see there a Lot to learn on it,.,

So im here to learn what i can  & how it works & how in heck ya do it LOL

have a great morning!

kitty

Hi, Kitty!

Very familiar with the difference between Route 66 & I-40. I applaud your efforts.

Many non-profits like yours have a presence in GeoCaching. The most important thing you'd need to know is the 'non-agenda' clause of our guidelines.

One of the basic, fundamental requirements for a geocache placement is that it NOT espouse any 'agenda', cause, business interest or particular point of view in any way.  This is a VERY restrictive requirement, by design. Some call it too harsh, but the point is to keep geocaching as a completely recreational endeavor with NO commercial, political, religious, social or charity influence. Doesn't matter how popular a cause it is; NO advocacy.

Basically, you could, as you say, place caches along the road (subject to landmanager permissions) to provide an enhanced experience for your travelers and you could even provide local historical information in the cache descriptions, but what you CANNOT do is promote your organization, or solicit donations or memberships or advertise for businesses along R66 or encourage anyone to do such business. 

So, you might be able to say, "Stop in this town and have lunch on your way through," but you COULDN'T say "Stop at Joe's and have lunch on your way through."

You might be able to put a note at the bottom of your cache description that says that it was placed by the "Texas Route 66 Association", but even going as far as listing your website would be up to your Volunteer Reviewer, who approves all cache writeups before publishing. Their job is to consider the specifics of your situation and cache writeup.

You said in your post that you'd do this for FUN for your travelers. That's great, but this would be one activity that your org does ONLY for fun, and not for any other purpose.

Read the Guidelines section of the website. Also, go find caches. The more you yourself find (of different types), the better your placements will be.

TeamRabbitRun

good morning!   No it would be to promote our assoc, as  travelers are already familiar with ALL the route 66 associations 

i have been reading on some of the  blogs as we wouldn't  'point someone to a specific location as i read the wee hints  on some of the 'maps'

All associations are Non political & only thing we 'promote' is route 66 & family and the other associations  for fun & a good road trip! LOL if you have ever been on the old road  then you know we dont have a lot of locations BUT we do have a few & even the  existing business owners  we all know one another & would not be placing on 'pvt property' by any means an safe pull offs, ill have to steady up on just the basics  an  get the basics down..  

to understand how it all works & what's 

but it would Awesome to have our Texas Route 66 Assoc on there! LOL

• Funny 1
18 minutes ago, kittytx said:

TeamRabbitRun

good morning!   No it would be to promote our assoc, as  travelers are already familiar with ALL the route 66 associations 

i have been reading on some of the  blogs as we wouldn't  'point someone to a specific location as i read the wee hints  on some of the 'maps'

All associations are Non political & only thing we 'promote' is route 66 & family and the other associations  for fun & a good road trip! LOL if you have ever been on the old road  then you know we dont have a lot of locations BUT we do have a few & even the  existing business owners  we all know one another & would not be placing on 'pvt property' by any means an safe pull offs, ill have to steady up on just the basics  an  get the basics down..  

to understand how it all works & what's 

but it would Awesome to have our Texas Route 66 Assoc on there! LOL

Work with your local Reviewer to see how far you could go to 'Promote your Association'.

It's a very short trip from 'promoting a group' to 'advocating for a cause'. They'll guide you.

To find your local reviewer, go to the cache page of any RECENTLY placed cache in your neck of the woods. Look for a 'PUBLISHED' log way at the bottom, and send that person a message to start the conversation. 

Good luck! Come back (probably to the other dedicated thread) and let us know how it goes!

In the meantime, as I said, go hunting!

TeamRabbitRun

i haven't even got THAT far   for Local Reviewer !! this is just an 'idea' thus far & learning,, Nothing too complicated ok guys    we don't have a bunch of folks to do this & i usually work at least 60 hrs a week LOL So it will be a slow go! LOL

what is a dedicate thread.?? LOL

Edited by kittytx

TeamRabbitRun

well i don't believe it would be either to 'promote  'either  'or    i was think u have  caches on route 66 & people would just enjoy the adventures   AS in my thinking we already have a mass of folks that do go on the old road BUt a lot on Interstate 40..  do yall promote the interstate as  part of the 'adventure /finds ?  Maybe I'm looking at this wrong  I just thought it be fun to do on old 66 here with no alterior motivs or reason other than that 

3 minutes ago, kittytx said:

TeamRabbitRun

i haven't even got THAT far   for Local Reviewer !! this is just an 'idea' thus far & learning,, Nothing too complicated ok guys    we don't have a bunch of folks to do this & i usually work at least 60 hrs a week LOL So it will be a slow go! LOL

what is a dedicate thread.?? LOL

This message 'thread' that we're in now is called 'Introduce Yourself'. It's meant for all new people coming into this online message forum.

You ALSO started a new 'thread' (forum topic) which is dedicated to you called 'would like to do this on our texas route 66'. Use THAT one for followups, otherwise we'll all be mixed in with a zillion other non-related.posts.

Just now, kittytx said:

TeamRabbitRun

well i don't believe it would be either to 'promote  'either  'or    i was think u have  caches on route 66 & people would just enjoy the adventures   AS in my thinking we already have a mass of folks that do go on the old road BUt a lot on Interstate 40..  do yall promote the interstate as  part of the 'adventure /finds ?  Maybe I'm looking at this wrong  I just thought it be fun to do on old 66 here with no alterior motivs or reason other than that 

No, no - don't misunderstand me - my impression so far is that you're up to exactly what we're all about!!!

You just have to be careful to keep it ONLY about the fun!

Keep going!

if you know anything about route 66 it is about fun adventure & family    & just thought it  would be awesome to do on our stretch of Texas route 66 & maybe some of the other route 66 Assoc may  follow suit!    BUT thats all i was wanting to learn..  When u an ol fart like i am.. There a lot to take in here to have fun & FREE ..   & have fun..  & be safe.  lol

A Route 66 geotour would certainly attract geocachers from around the country. It would also allow some degree of commercial promotion that wouldn't normally be allowed.

First thing the OP needs to do is find some existing geocaches so they have a better idea what they are getting into.

Second, if the OP does go forward with a series of hides, geotour or otherwise, they need to find someone with a better command of the written English language else to write the cache descriptions. Especially of it's a geotour.

Cache descriptions full of misspellings, absent capitalization, and generally looking like a teenager's text messages do not present the caches or what they are trying to promote in a positive light.

• Helpful 3