Archived Geocache

sightsite

Hello Geocaching Community

I would like to know because you cannot adopt an archived Geocache, is it possible to place a new Geocache in the area of an archived one?

Also, I am wondering if in fact one is allowed to place a new Geocache in the same area as an archived one.

Is there a set distance for placement?

I imagine the theme of the new Geocache should also be different from that of the archived one. The archived Geocache I have in mind has a unique and wonderful story, and it is sad to see it archived. If allowed I hope to come up with a Geocache that is just as good or maybe even better.

Thank you 

As long as the previous one wasn't archived for something like landowner permission issues / trespassing, you may.

You may call it what you want ("[archived cache name] Tribute" or something like that is nice). And it could either be in the exact same spot or a little bit away - as long as it is still 528 feet from any existing, active caches.

If I recall correctly, my second cache was a "tribute" type cache to a previous one in a similar spot. I did move it a bit for a slightly different experience, but that's up to you. :)

Edited by TriciaG
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Hi, yes you can hide a geocache where an archived geocache was.  In fact you can create a listing before a cache is archived with the coordinates where you want the cache to be, and when the cache is archived, you sort of have first "dibs" to place a cache there.  

You can hide any type of cache where the archived cache was, the history of the location isn't considered for the new cache.  Some geocachers will archive a boring cache and replace it with another boring cache.  I once was FTF on a cache because I knew the CO liked to re-use his locations, and after he archived a cache, I visited the spot and found a new cache that hadn't been published yet.  FTF before publication!

Best wishes with your cache hide.

• Helpful 2
23 minutes ago, sightsite said:

I would like to know because you cannot adopt an archived Geocache, is it possible to place a new Geocache in the area of an archived one?

Also, I am wondering if in fact one is allowed to place a new Geocache in the same area as an archived one.

Is there a set distance for placement?

Once a geocache has been archived, it no longer affects the placement of new geocaches. I've seen "redux" and "tribute" caches hidden in the same place and manner as the original cache that was archived. I've also seen cache after cache hidden in the same busy urban/suburban park, each archived after it was muggled, only to be replaced by another short-lived cache. When hiding a new cache, archived caches themselves are irrelevant, although the reasons those caches were archived may still be relevant.

23 minutes ago, sightsite said:

I imagine the theme of the new Geocache should also be different from that of the archived one.

If you want it to have the same theme (whether in tribute to the archived geocache, or based on the same landmark/monument/whatever as the archived geocache), then you're free to do that. If you want it to be different, then you're free to do that. The archived geocache doesn't limit your new geocache at all.