EV trip planning

sloth96

Howdy

Hoping to rent a Tesla to see how ot works for a road trip, how do you push geocaches as destinations to the nav system?

Apparently EVs work best the more information you cam give about the route. It allows them to plan charging stops better. 

Thanks.

• Funny 1

So a quick trip report.  I ended up getting a polestar and not a tesla.  The polestar seemed to overestimate my consumption of the battery. This led to plenty of miles available for grabbing side caches.  

Downsides was my android phone was unable to push the caches to the cars navigation system.  It could not push any destination to the car at all.  

For a local caching vehicle this would be acceptable to me.  For this roadtrip caching experience, topping off the battery instead of just enough took more time but put enough juice in the tank make caching a relatively painless addition.  

Range limits and charging times were an issue.

1 hour ago, sloth96 said:

Downsides was my android phone was unable to push the caches to the cars navigation system.  It could not push any destination to the car at all.  

Start "Android Auto" and then command your phone to use Google navigation for the cache.

Edited by arisoft
1 hour ago, sloth96 said:

This needs some planning to be optimal. Basically, you should try to charge both the car and yourself at the same time.

I have used EV for geocaching about 4 years. At the beginning I could use charging time for finding nearby caches until I consumed them all.

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, sloth96 said:

That's why I am not considering one at this time. Last year for instance, during my over 17,000 km drive around Australia, there were places hundreds of kms apart, and even in some of those places it would have been an ordinary power point to charge. If I had been free camping as I have done on previous trips that would have made it even more difficulty, as many free camping spots are far from power.

What would work for me is a plug in hybrid. Enough to drive on electricity for shorter trips about town, but petrol for those long trips. Something like the Subaru XV I am driving now. 4WD or a good AWD, with ground clearance for those offroad moments and not too big a car for urban driving.

Free Camping

Free camping.jpg