August 2023 Challenge Includes EarthCache

Neos2

I'm unclear why the original post got a "Surprised" reaction from someone. What's surprising about asking about EarthCaches in the EarthCaching forum? It's a good example of why we've been thinking about removing that reaction option. But I digress...

I was at the West Bend Mega-Event in Wisconsin and chose a nearby EC that focused on some erratics. I chose it mostly because it was uncomplicated besides being nearby. I've found myself skipping a lot of ECs lately due to lengthy lists of questions and/or dense subject matter. But this one was simple enough so that my caching companion and I could complete it in 10-15 minutes.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 2
4 hours ago, Neos2 said:

If you did the challenge, or are still working on it, which EarthCache did you choose?
What did you like best about it? Was it one you were "saving" for something like this, or did you choose it for some other reason?

I completed the challenge last week and the EarthCache I used for it was Mt Orient Creek Speleothems GC9KN6Q, published at the beginning of last year. It's a water access cache and one my caching friends and I have been wanting to do for some time but never quite got the chance. This month's challenge was added incentive to get the kayaks out on the water specifically for it.

KayakingEC.jpg.af1df34086eb2019475ed7da6f777959.jpg

It was a great EC, something I hadn't seen before in sandstone (although I've seen plenty of limestone speleothems). Lots of interesting reading on the subject when I got home.

• Love 1

I chose Heigold House Efflorescence EarthCache GC9K60A

I had been wanting to see that location since my son mentioned it to me months ago, and finding an EarthCache there only helped encourage a visit. The learning tasks were very reasonable and clearly taught an Earth Science lesson, which I do like in an EarthCache. My caching partner for the day is intimidated by EarthCaches logging requirements, but she thought these were interesting and obvious. 

Heigold house louisville.jpg

Edited by Neos2
3 minutes ago, Neos2 said:

My caching partner for the day is intimidated by EarthCaches logging requirements

They often turn me off too, but I am forcing myself to find more, as I need them for challengers. I do find though that Earth caches can take you to some very interesting and fascinating places, but shame about some of the boring questions. This can ruin the experience.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1