Need help loading caches along a trail (or even individually) to DeLorme PN-60

soulranger

Many years ago when I first started geocaching, I spent a fortune and bought the PN-60 and loaded local topo maps.  Back then, it was SO EASY to load a geocache on the PN-60.  Just click send to GPS while it was plugged in.  Simple and fast.  I haven't cached much over the last 4 years or so.  One reason is that it is almost impossible to load a cache on the PN-60 now.  It takes me a full day of research just to figure out how to do it.  Then the next time things seem different and I have no idea how to do it again and have to start the research over.

Can someone please help!?  I really don't' know why this is so difficult to load them lol.  If I have, for instance, a walking trial (ghost town trial near Dilltown PA) and want to select say 10 caches along the trail and send them to my GPS, what is the easiest way to do this?  I've tried to create caches along a route, but that goes by roads not trails.  And even after I would download a GPX file, I have no idea how to get it on the PN-60.

I really don't know why you can't just plug it in and send it the GPS.  The PN-60 is a great GPS.  Why was support for an entire brand (Delorme) abandoned?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  In case it matters, I am subscribed to the premium service.  Thank you!

1. On Geocaching.com main page select the "Play" menu, then select "Pocket Queries".  Create a new query using the form provided and name it.

2. Once new query is displayed on the list, select it and download it to your computer.

3. Move the down loaded folder to the desk top and open it.

4. You will see two files, a "ABCD.gpx" and a "ABCD-wpt.gpx".  The ".gpx" file has the cache details and the "-wpt.gpx" has associated waypoints (like parking, trailhead, etc.)

5. Fire up your Delorme PN-60.  On first display page select "Settings", then "Connect to Computer". 

6. When connected select "Use GPS".  Select either "Open SD Card" or "Open Internal Drive" (I prefer the SD Card).

7. A new page will popup on you computer screen.  It will be the SD Card named "PN60(D)"

8. Drag and drop the two GPX files into the "waypoints" folder displayed on the PN60(D).

9. Exit out

10. That's it!  If you want to add more queries or update an old one just repeat the above.  You can delete old queries just by selecting and deleting.

If this is the first query entered to the PN-60 or you have more than one query in the D drive you must select the one you want to use.  So on the PN60's main page select "Geocaches", then "Menu" button.

Finally select "File...", then "Open".  Select the file you want.  (Before selecting "File..." make sure you are in "Switch to Show Not Logged Caches")

Good luck

Your query reads as though the problem isn't getting the PQ file downloaded onto your computer, but if that is part of the problem as well you might wish to look at the thread "Load onto Garmin 62S" (running in the How Do I section at the moment) as it talks about that stage in some detail.  I can see from Capt. Bob's post that the next stage of downloading the files from the computer to a Delorme GPS is a different process than to a Garmin.

I also own a Delorme PN 60.

Step one: create query, give it a name.

Step two: generate the query.

Step three: when the query is ready. Go to the pocket query page. At the top of your lust of pocket queries will be two tabs. One tabe says queries ready for download. Open that tab then click on the name of the query. It will download it as a zip file. When downloaded open that file. Possibly two .gpx files will be there, one will be related waypoints. The other will be what you need.

Step four: your gps should be connected to you computer. Take that in hand, on the main screen open the settings tab. Then go to connect to computer. Select as an sd card or internal drive. A window will open on your computer. This will be your sd card recognised as a usb drive. A list of folders will be there. One is waypoints, open that. Now drag from that zip file the .gpx file that you want over to the waypoints folder. Success you are almost done. 

Step five: Tell you gps to connect as a gps. Now go to your gps main screen an go to geocaches and open that file. You are ready to go.

One big thing about queries along a route.

They can't be generated for bike or hike trails.

For that I create a list and place what I want in that list. Then turn that list into a pocket query.

Then load that as stated above. Good luck.

On 8/4/2023 at 4:14 PM, Capt. Bob said:

1. On Geocaching.com main page select the "Play" menu, then select "Pocket Queries".  Create a new query using the form provided and name it.

2. Once new query is displayed on the list, select it and download it to your computer.

3. Move the down loaded folder to the desk top and open it.

4. You will see two files, a "ABCD.gpx" and a "ABCD-wpt.gpx".  The ".gpx" file has the cache details and the "-wpt.gpx" has associated waypoints (like parking, trailhead, etc.)

5. Fire up your Delorme PN-60.  On first display page select "Settings", then "Connect to Computer". 

6. When connected select "Use GPS".  Select either "Open SD Card" or "Open Internal Drive" (I prefer the SD Card).

7. A new page will popup on you computer screen.  It will be the SD Card named "PN60(D)"

8. Drag and drop the two GPX files into the "waypoints" folder displayed on the PN60(D).

9. Exit out

10. That's it!  If you want to add more queries or update an old one just repeat the above.  You can delete old queries just by selecting and deleting.

If this is the first query entered to the PN-60 or you have more than one query in the D drive you must select the one you want to use.  So on the PN60's main page select "Geocaches", then "Menu" button.

Finally select "File...", then "Open".  Select the file you want.  (Before selecting "File..." make sure you are in "Switch to Show Not Logged Caches")

Good luck

Thank you SO much for that step by step outline!!  It is greatly appreciated!!

On 8/14/2023 at 11:37 AM, Mn-treker said:

I also own a Delorme PN 60.

Step one: create query, give it a name.

Step two: generate the query.

Step three: when the query is ready. Go to the pocket query page. At the top of your lust of pocket queries will be two tabs. One tabe says queries ready for download. Open that tab then click on the name of the query. It will download it as a zip file. When downloaded open that file. Possibly two .gpx files will be there, one will be related waypoints. The other will be what you need.

Step four: your gps should be connected to you computer. Take that in hand, on the main screen open the settings tab. Then go to connect to computer. Select as an sd card or internal drive. A window will open on your computer. This will be your sd card recognised as a usb drive. A list of folders will be there. One is waypoints, open that. Now drag from that zip file the .gpx file that you want over to the waypoints folder. Success you are almost done. 

Step five: Tell you gps to connect as a gps. Now go to your gps main screen an go to geocaches and open that file. You are ready to go.

One big thing about queries along a route.

They can't be generated for bike or hike trails.

For that I create a list and place what I want in that list. Then turn that list into a pocket query.

Then load that as stated above. Good luck.

Thank you SO much for that post!!  Your information is beyond helpful!!