What GPS models are there that can wirelessly transfer cache data via cell phone? I’d prefer it to work with both iPhone and Android.

Wags44

I am going on a road trip in a couple weeks and my iPhone 6 just isn’t going to cut it. I need a good handheld GPS that can obtain Cache data from my phone or iPad Pro. 

I would love the ones that have the live function but those are too pricey. Are there cheaper options doing what I need? 

On 7/26/2023 at 10:07 PM, Atlas Cached said:

Technically, the newer eTrex SE has limited GCLive capability for only $150 USD. Examples can be found here.

There are more capable models, but most of them will start at twice that price.

Thanks. When you say limited, what does that mean? Can you easily get the cache coordinates onto the device without need of a computer? 

19 hours ago, 2quigs said:

The Garmin 66 does this.  This gpsr can download caches to the unit in the field. Also it allows for logging a find or dnf etc. on location. 

I should have bought this one then but I wanted to save money. I bought the 22X and it requires a computer to upload caches. 

11 minutes ago, Wags44 said:

I should have bought this one then but I wanted to save money. I bought the 22X and it requires a computer to upload caches. 

That Etrex is a nice one!  You may plan ahead and load lists or PQs of choice caches for wherever you intend to stop on a road trip.  And check The App on the phone for an unexpected cache or two along the way, view the entire page, then enter the coords into the Etrex and you're golden.

I have a Garmin Oregon, and although it can do Geocaching Live, I never use it because it didn't work at first and I got accustomed to loading caches in advance as always.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1