Are Saturation Rules a Thing for EarthCaches?

Vicious Cycle

I have tried to find the answer to my question on my own, but my detective skills are a bit rusty. So, I thought some of the people who are smarter than me might be willing to help me out.

Do EarthCaches have the same saturation rules that physical caches do? I'm considering placing an EarthCache near a traditional type Geocache. Do reviewers who publish EarthCaches consider the distance from physical caches and/or stages of multi-caches?

Edited by Vicious Cycle

The Help Center article titled Create an EarthCache (https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=51&pgid=292) has the answer to your question. "You can place an EarthCache near a physical geocache. Content is more important than physical proximity. If an existing physical geocache or EarthCache highlights the same feature as a new EarthCache submission, the reviewer may reject the EarthCache submission."

• Helpful 1
On 7/10/2023 at 12:48 PM, JustFindingOurWay said:

If an existing physical geocache or EarthCache highlights the same feature as a new EarthCache submission, the reviewer may reject the EarthCache submission."

Hmm, I wonder...  Does an additional waypoint, eg reference point, of a traditional cache prevent an EC there?

6 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Hmm, I wonder...  Does an additional waypoint, eg reference point, of a traditional cache prevent an EC there?

From the guidelines: "There is no minimum required distance for [...] EarthCaches and Virtual Caches as they do not have physical waypoints."

EarthCaches do have their own guidelines, and one of those guidelines regards "EarthCaches that duplicate existing EarthCaches or related sites", but in that case, the EarthCache guidelines state, "Content, rather than proximity, will be the guiding principle for EarthCache reviewers."

• Upvote 3

I've never found proximity to be an issue. 

I own two EarthCaches that are literally two rocks side by side. One EC is on Chemical Weathering...the other is Mechanical Weathering. 

One thing I did was to note, "Make sure you also look at the other weathering EC."