How to change an traditional cache into an earthcache - urgent

Smith_0

I have been granted permission to place a traditional cache (tin) in a nature reserve for a long time. I made the design of the listing very elaborate.
Now nothing may be physically deposited there. 
Therefore, I would like to change the existing traditional cache into an earth cache, so that all logs and the previous history etc. are preserved. How does this work? Unfortunately it is urgent ... Thank you!

From what you've said - my thoughts are "won't happen".... especially the part about the logs being preserved.

EarthCaches are a very specific type of cache - you'll need to find something worthy of a geology lesson in the location you want to use, and separately develop it.

and - as Mausebiber said while I was typing - they have their own specific (and strict) guidelines....

Edited by lee737

That wouldn't contradict what I said - it's a special nature reserve and I could well develop that into an Earthcache.

But apparently that is not desired if the sacred "guidelines" do not allow it. Quite bureaucratic but that's the trend.

• Funny 1

If there is something there that could be developed to give a lesson with a geology theme, go for it. Make a new cache.... Why would the old logs for a trad be at all relevant to an EarthCache? Past finders might enjoy another visit and another smiley anyway....

The "guidelines" and review process that EC's have keep them to a pretty good quality - work with them, it isn't as painful as you seem to be imagining.... :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Cache types are very rarely changed after publication.  The only common exception is if a mistake was made upfront, and the CO works with their Community Volunteer Reviewer to correct the cache type.

Among other things, creating a brand new cache page for the Earthcache helps to preserve the record of the experience that finders of the Traditional cache had, and it keeps their statistics accurate.

• Helpful 3
4 hours ago, Smith_0 said:

Therefore, I would like to change the existing traditional cache into an earth cache, so that all logs and the previous history etc. are preserved. How does this work? Unfortunately it is urgent ... Thank you!

As others have pointed out, cache types are generally fixed once a cache has been published. On very rare occasions, I've seen caches changed shortly after publication when it was discovered that the cache was accidentally listed as the wrong type. But they are never changed just because the CO wanted a different type of cache at the same location (for whatever reason). If you want another type of cache at the same location, then archive the old cache and create the new one. That's how it's done.

If you're concerned about preserving the history of the archived traditional cache, then you can add a link from your new EarthCache to the archived traditional cache. The logs and everything else about the archived traditional cache will be there, preserved. And the new EarthCache can start its own history.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2

I am a little late to the discussion, but I'd like to share my thoughts anyway, for anyone who sees this later.

I understand your desire to preserve the history of your existing cache. However, so much will change that I recommend developing a new cache listing.

In the early days of geocaching, it wasn't unheard of for cache owners to convert a traditional cache to a virtual cache because the container kept disappearing or containers were no longer allowed. But when virtual caches were grandfathered in 2006, this option went away.

Earthcaches were introduced as a limited variant of virtual caches. Over time, earthcaches have evolved from what was basically a virtual with some geology thrown in, to an actual earth science lesson based on a unique feature.

The rule of thumb for creating a new cache listing versus updating an old cache listing is usually looking at how the experience has changed.

If it was a matter of moving a container 20 meters after a tree was removed, and now it's at the foot of a similar tree, with identical difficulty and terrain ratings, then all I'd recommend in that case is simply changing the coordinates.

Here, though, you're changing the entire experience. There will no longer be a container to find or a log to sign. Instead, there will be an earth science lesson, with logging tasks tied to that lesson. So I would argue this substantial change warrants a new listing.

Changing the old cache to an earthcache would also only confuse those who had found it previously. Also, they may be interested in visiting the new earthcache.

(Finally,as Keystone explains, only reviewers or Groundspeak can change a cache type after publication. So, you can consider all these factors as reasons why neither are likely to do so.)

Edited by geoawareUSA9
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
7 hours ago, Smith_0 said:

I have been granted permission to place a traditional cache (tin) in a nature reserve for a long time. I made the design of the listing very elaborate.
Now nothing may be physically deposited there. 

IIRC, the only thing you can't change on a Geocache is it's type...   Archive n start over.  Good luck.

• Helpful 1