GeoAware not responding - Can't get my EarthCaches published.

DanielKotmel

Hello cachers! I am an EarthCache owner from Czechia and I have a problem with hiding new EarthCaches. Before, the geoaware somehow was responding but now it is 40+days, I have several listings in the queue and it is really de-motivating to create them because of this.

He isn't even responding on emails on both his profiles. I respect that geoawares are volunteers, but this is very frustrating. I am not the only person with this problem.

My question is - What should I do? It is possible to get my EarthCaches published by another geoaware? 

Thank y'all for answers and help.

Best regards, DanielKotmel 🌍

Edited by DanielKotmel
spelling mistake
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

The standard to begun review of a geocache is seven days, so this is of course beyond that. I do not see any earthcaches of yours that have been waiting for review longer than a month, but perhaps I overlooked it.

I apologize in behalf of my colleague for the delay. My best recommendation is to be patient. Summer is a busy time of year for all geocachers, and that includes reviewers.

I do see that several of your earthcache submissions have been disabled by reviewers and are awaiting action or response on your part. While you are waiting for review on your newer submissions, perhaps you can focus on the points that reviewers brought up for those previous submissions.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2

Hello. I have the same problem with setting up earthcache as my colleague. I've been waiting for a response for 41 days (I submitted earthcache to the queue after the rework on May 1, 2023). My cache has the code GCA7NTK. I wrote to geoawareSK on the player account (because I don't know where else to go), but he didn't reply. Thank you for any reply or help and have a nice day. Dan Škareda

Edited by Dan Škareda
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
7 hours ago, brekkcaching123 said:

I have some EarthCaches in the review queue. [3 of them] All I say is be patient. I did this a while ago, it was in the queue for 25 days. I thought this was a bug, So i archived the caches. 

I took a look at your previous EarthCache submissions. None contained an earth science lesson, so they would not have been published. The reviewer didn't get a chance to tell you that because you archived them all within 3-8 days of submission.

Your current EarthCache submissions also do not contain earth science lessons, so they won't be published in their current form. I suggest reading the EarthCaching guidelines before proceeding with future submissions.

• Helpful 4

For @geoawareUSA9 

If a reviewer wrote to tell me to wait, I would understand - it's about communication. But there's no holiday season here in May yet. Given that the reviewer often requests multiple refinements to the listing, I'll be happy to have an earthcache based in April published by Christmas. It might be interesting to do some statistics on his approvals - if he is really overloaded and approvals don't keep up with the usual deadlines, it might be worth considering reinstituting the EC reviewer for the Czech Republic (he now approves both the Czech Republic and Slovakia).

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
On 6/11/2023 at 10:57 AM, brekkcaching123 said:

I have some EarthCaches in the review queue. [3 of them] All I say is be patient. I did this a while ago, it was in the queue for 25 days. I thought this was a bug, So i archived the caches. 

I might add to @Rock Chalk's recommendation and recommend you find a few Earthcaches before submitting any for review. Best of luck though - they're a really fun part of the hobby!

The previous reviewer geoawareCZ published 138 EC in the last 18.5 months in the service.

The change occurred around 7/10/2020

New reviewer geoawareSK published 37 ECs in the first 18.5 months of service and 20 more in the next 14 months to date. 

I would say that this is saying a lot.

Edited by DanielKotmel
  • Helpful 2

I agree with @DanielKotmel. I know many players from my area who preferred to give up the EC publication process after several comments. Nowadays the requirements for EC caches enforced by GeoawareSK are so high that many people prefer not to establish EC anymore. That's where I see such a significant drop in interest in EC publication, not because people don't want to publish.

• Upvote 4

I would like to take a moment to remind everyone to continue to be very cautious in this conversation. Please remember that you are speaking of trained volunteer reviewers. I do not want to remove posts, but remind you the posting guidelines for this forum, in particular guideline number 4.  

4. Personal attacks and inflammatory or antagonistic behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to post criticism, please do so constructively. Generalized, vicious, or veiled attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

• Helpful 1

Exactly, I have published 2 EarthCaches by different reviewer and everything was alright and in our case we don't even get a respond. 

We are not trying to be offensive. Just want to get our EarthCaches normally published.

Thanks to everyone who can help us.

• Upvote 1
On 6/9/2023 at 8:15 PM, DanielKotmel said:

Hello cachers! I am an EarthCache owner from Czechia and I have a problem with hiding new EarthCaches. Before, the geoaware somehow was responding but now it is 40+days, I have several listings in the queue and it is really de-motivating to create them because of this.

He isn't even responding on emails on both his profiles. I respect that geoawares are volunteers, but this is very frustrating. I am not the only person with this problem.

My question is - What should I do? It is possible to get my EarthCaches published by another geoaware? 

Thank y'all for answers and help.

Best regards, DanielKotmel 🌍

This is not okay from my POV

We are not trying to be offensive against the person. We just can't hide new EarthCaches in Czechia and in other states it is super alright. Is there is anyone who may help us?

Edited by DanielKotmel
  • Upvote 1

At this point, I would suggest that everyone go back and read the following guidelines for creating EarthCaches: 

Geocache hiding guidelines  It is always good to refresh your memory on these, as EarthCaches must also adhere to geocaching guidelines. 
And while there, pay particular attention to information on Earthcaches in the Help Center:
4.2 Accepted sciences for EarthCaches to make sure your submission contains a Geology based lessons. 
4.3. EarthCache logging tasks to make sure you are creating quality lessons for your submission. 

EarthCache Guidelines

I feel this thread has devolved from its original intent and become a simple comparison of one reviewer versus another or one area to another. I would remind you that EarthCaches are reviewed by community volunteer reviewers; they are trained for the task by the Geological Society of America. They are not there to prevent you from publishing an EarthCache; their intent is to help you create a quality EarthCache.

EarthCaches do have exemplary standards; they provide a lesson on some geologic aspect of the Earth. They are not just glorified tourist spots. We should all continue to strive to create quality experiences for our visitors. 

From the Geological Society faq page

No. EarthCaches have to meet some solid guidelines. About 60% of submitted EarthCaches are approved in the first round. Many are sent back to the developers for reworking. Some suggestions may be given to how the text needs to be changed to be approved.

If you have an EarthCache pending approval, be sure to check your page regularly to see if your reviewer has asked you to make changes, add further clarification, or made other suggestions before the Earthcache can be published. Make sure you communicate with your reviewer when you have made those changes. They are volunteers, they may have many submissions pending, things slip through cracks. 

Finally, I'd remind you there is no precedent for caches. Again, from the geocaching guidelines page:

No precedents

There are no precedents for placing geocaches. Past publication of a similar geocache is not justification for publication of a new geocache. If a geocache was published that you feel violated the guidelines, you may report it

You simply cannot compare one Earthcache to another. There are many Earthcaches out there that would no longer be approved; they are grandfathered in, but new ones like them will not be allowed. There are also local laws, ordinances, and mores to consider; what works in one community or state or nation may not be acceptable in another. Your reviewer is apt to know the local laws and help you adhere to them. 

At this time, I am closing this thread. I feel that the point of the posters has been made; you feel submissions in your area are taking too long and want to know what to do about it. I assure you, your posts have been seen by the right people. Continuing to chime in to say "me too" will not help your cause. 
If any EarthCache reviewers wish to contribute to the page to advise cache owners on getting their EarthCaches published, contact me and I will reopen the page. 

• Surprised 2
  • Helpful 3