archaeological (and geological) typesites

As you maybe know, I'm a professional archaeologist. In my trade we tend to take certain place names of archeological cultures and material traditions from the first well-published typesite location. This can be a town (Swifterbant-cultuur, Acheuleen after Saint-Acheul), a specific place (Mousterien after Le Moustier) (Hallstatt-culture after the Hallstatt saltmine). The habit is taken from geology, and in geology you have likewise names such as the Eemien (after the river Eem), Formatie van Maastricht, etc. I'm less at home with the geological side of this proposed category idea.

I think it would be a cool idea to make a collection of these typesites and link a certain location to a certain archeological culture or material tradition or geological formation. It should obivously be a well-defined region or site, a whole region or country does not qualify. I think a waymarker in this idea has to make a photo of the welcome sign of a certain place and make a good desciption about the archeological or geological namesake. If a specific typesite such as an archaeological site can be reached or defined, photos of this site should be preferable. What do you all think of the idea?

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

Well, Ivo, judging by the complete and utter lack of response to date, I am about to go out on a limb and suggest that others in the community are at as complete a loss as myself with regard to what, exactly, it is that you propose here.

Not being a member of the geological profession, I have no idea what might constitute a "typesite location", nor am I familiar with "archeological culture", or even what might lead to a "material tradition", though I will admit that a "geological formation" has been within my vocabulary for eons.

"link[ing] a certain location to a certain archeological culture or material tradition or geological formation" may sound to you a splendid idea, but, outside your profession it, as a proposal to action, appears to be falling on deaf ears.

Here we have a proposal more in need of Expansion, Explanation, Education and Elucidation than any I've encountered in this life time, or in any others, for that matter.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

I can chime in a bit with the geology side of things...that's what my degree is in anyways. What do you mean by "typesite"? Anything geology related already has enough categories: Rocks and Minerals, Fossils, Rock Hounding, Places of Geologic Significance (just to name a few).

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1

Ever heard of the Clovis culture? It's named after an archaeological site in Clovis in USA. Someone wanting to make a waymark should go to the town Clovis, make a picture of the street sign and tell us something about the Clovis culture. Here are more examples: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_site

I thought about the geology side and I think that is completely covered by 'places of geologisch significance'.

• Surprised 1

I think I know what you mean and I also find it interesting, but it would be hard to find such places, without your know-how or a good source on the internet. I did a very tiny research starting here: Hallstatt culture - Wikipedia. There I learned about Golasecca culture - Wikipedia (named after excavations at Golasecca in the province of Varese) and Canegrate culture - Wikipedia (named after finds in Canegrate in Lombardy). But both are not mentioned on the Wikipedia page you mentioned (Type site - Wikipedia). So, IF there were a website with many more cultures, it would be much easier.

I found a good list of archaeological cultures on the German Wikipedia page Liste archäologischer Kulturen – Wikipedia. Not all of them are named after an archaeological site and the list is definitely not complete, but it's a long and worldwide list.

And one for Romania (because I visit that country soon): Romanian archaeology - Wikipedia

Edited by PISA-caching
On 6/13/2023 at 9:02 PM, bluesnote said:

I can chime in a bit with the geology side of things...that's what my degree is in anyways. What do you mean by "typesite"? Anything geology related already has enough categories: Rocks and Minerals, Fossils, Rock Hounding, Places of Geologic Significance (just to name a few).

This. One could focus on stratigraphic type sections, but even there they are problems. And many aren't quite visible. Try to find a golden nail for the Eemian for example (hint: it's not on the surface). But that would be a category for both geo and archaeo that I would specifically seek out as both a geologist and archaeology lover (just today drooled over a small Roman Egyptian collection in a small museum in Egypt)

Edited by terratin