Hints - more than on cache page

I know there are caches where the hint on the cache page tells you where to look , and there are some hints that are  very cryptic. And many caches have no hints. All okay to me.

What I am curious to find out is how cachers notice others logging DNFs and want to help them. 

How much hint do you give to such a person who may have mentioned they have looked for that cache at least twice? Do you supply a suggestion or hint of your own, or tell them where to look? 

I am thinking of one cache that has been found by others, and checked to be sure it is still there (last time was yesterday) but one cacher has looked several times with no luck - probably looked right at it though! This cacher has looked several times  - and as others have mentioned in logs, has notated the coordinates are way off with the CO not correcting them - may not be active.  I gave her clues over a course of a few months, some were not to waste time looking, some a general area, and some maybe a bit too specific for some.  I noted she had not found it after several tries.

I am sure she will be a bitput off with herself when she does locate it, I think she has a good idea what she is looking for. I guess after while a stronger hint may be needed, I think maybe that has been now accomplished.

Just wondering what others think, I think we are here to help others as well as to provide challenges. 

Edited by Jayeffel
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

When I offer hints on site, they're generally when most of the people in the group have found it, and the last couple people are still searching. Then those of us who have found it start giving "warmer" and "colder" hints.

When I offer hints via email, I start by asking what the person has tried, and then figure out how to give a small nudge in the right direction (or a small nudge away from the wrong direction, depending on the situation). I'm careful to avoid spoilers, largely because I've received unsolicited spoilers from COs before.

• Helpful 2
3 hours ago, niraD said:

snip... I'm careful to avoid spoilers, largely because I've received unsolicited spoilers from COs before.

Asked a CO by email if my co-ordinates were correct on a multi, I'd got the relevant information, but ran out of time to look...

They came back and told me exactly where the cache was, and how it was hidden. (A method I had found before, but was new to the area the cache was placed.)

Did return to find it, but didn't rush back. Did it another time I was passing the area.

• Upvote 1

For me, as a CO, it depends on the cache and the amount of detail in the DNF log. If the log just says "DNF" (so many of them do these days), I'll probably just go out and quietly make sure the cache is still there but won't contact the DNFer or post anything on the cache page unless they contact me. If there's a more detailed DNF log that gives me a picture of where they'd been looking, I'll be a bit more helpful but I won't give the hiding place away unless they're exasperated and ask for it. Something I've done a few times is send them a photo of the area around GZ and say it's somewhere within the picture, and usually that's enough. One of my hides gets more than its fair share of DNFs, although it really shouldn't be that hard except people don't look carefully enough at the hiding place, dismiss it and then move out in increasingly wide circles. I've updated the hint to try to discourage that without completely giving it away, saying "not in the big cave but close by", but it still gets occasional DNFs.

As a finder, I always put as much detail as I can in my DNF logs, so the CO has a starting point if they decide to offer some unsolicited assistance. Unless the CO is someone I know well, I generally won't ask for help after my first attempt, but will put the cache on my watchlist to see how others are faring and often those logs are enough to inspire that lightbulb moment. I'm not averse to receiving spoiler hints, though, as my main interest in the cache is usually the journey and the location rather than the sleuthing at GZ.

Hint said "power box next to solar panel."  I searched on and around the power panel.  Found a CVS pill pouch on the solar panel.  Added a piece of paper with my alias.  CO asked if I looked inside the power box.  I said "No.  I don't think caches inside power boxes are permitted."  He moved it next to the power box.

• Upvote 1

I believe the OP is asking about the types of hints we might give on caches that we do not own.

If that's really what this thread is about, then my answer is....NONE!

As a CO, I craft the experience and with it, the hint I want the finder to have. I'd be annoyed if there was someone else out there 'spoiling' my work.

Yes, that means a lot of people might not find it, but that's OK. Otherwise, why hide a difficult cache?

Personally, I use everything at my disposal to find a cache, including other people's logs after I've exhausted all other on-site resources, but I hate it when I read a log that says "It's under the white rock."   dadgum! It's like reading a movie review that blurts out the ending.

I always try to be non-hintal (yes it is - look it up!) when I write my logs out of respect for the CO and the job they've set for finders, and I'd NEVER consider providing hints outside of a limited log.

I don't believe we as finders are in competition with COs, so I wouldn't arbitrarily take sides with them by purposely ruining a CO's fun! I believe it's a collaborative game with CO's and seekers as teammates. It's like riddle-askers and riddle-answerers; you try to make it JUST hard enough without turning people off.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Side story - In 1982, while waiting for my then-girlfriend to get ready to go see the long-awaited "Star Trek II" (and insanely excited we were!), I picked up the newspaper and saw well-known American reviewer Rex Reed's writeup on the movie.   

"Ahh," I said. "If he starts saying anything specific, I'll just put it down."

The first sentence read, "The only thing you have to know about this movie is that Spock dies."

She came out of the bathroom at that point and said, "Why are you crying?"

• Surprised 1
9 hours ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

I believe the OP is asking about the types of hints we might give on caches that we do not own.

If that's really what this thread is about, then my answer is....NONE!

As a CO, I craft the experience and with it, the hint I want the finder to have. I'd be annoyed if there was someone else out there 'spoiling' my work.

Yes, that means a lot of people might not find it, but that's OK. Otherwise, why hide a difficult cache?

Personally, I use everything at my disposal to find a cache, including other people's logs after I've exhausted all other on-site resources, but I hate it when I read a log that says "It's under the white rock."   dadgum! It's like reading a movie review that blurts out the ending.

I always try to be non-hintal (yes it is - look it up!) when I write my logs out of respect for the CO and the job they've set for finders, and I'd NEVER consider providing hints outside of a limited log.

I don't believe we as finders are in competition with COs, so I wouldn't arbitrarily take sides with them by purposely ruining a CO's fun! I believe it's a collaborative game with CO's and seekers as teammates. It's like riddle-askers and riddle-answerers; you try to make it JUST hard enough without turning people off.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Side story - In 1982, while waiting for my then-girlfriend to get ready to go see the long-awaited "Star Trek II" (and insanely excited we were!), I picked up the newspaper and saw well-known American reviewer Rex Reed's writeup on the movie.   

"Ahh," I said. "If he starts saying anything specific, I'll just put it down."

The first sentence read, "The only thing you have to know about this movie is that Spock dies."

She came out of the bathroom at that point and said, "Why are you crying?"

Yes, on caches qwe do not own but have found; but helping others who have repeatedly not found a cache that is still there. Helping without telling exactly where.