Help needed uploading PQs to Montana 700

Hi, we’ve had a break from caching with a gps unit for a couple of years, we’re still premium members & when we’ve found a few caches I’ve done it using iPhone, we’ve now equipped ourselves with a laptop & garmin 700 gps unit, but for the life of me can’t remember how we used to download a pocket query to the garmin! I’ve run a query which has been emailed to me & I can preview it on geocaching.com but just can’t figure out how to download it??? It’s absolutely stressing me out! Please help! 

4 hours ago, team ppw said:

Hi, we’ve had a break from caching with a gps unit for a couple of years, we’re still premium members & when we’ve found a few caches I’ve done it using iPhone, we’ve now equipped ourselves with a laptop & garmin 700 gps unit, but for the life of me can’t remember how we used to download a pocket query to the garmin! I’ve run a query which has been emailed to me & I can preview it on geocaching.com but just can’t figure out how to download it??? It’s absolutely stressing me out! Please help! 

I'm not sure whether your problem is downloading the GPX files from the website or uploading them to your GPSr, so I'll cover both. On the website, go to the Pocket Queries page and click on the Pocket Queries Ready For Download tab:

image.png.6ad4cb6682c9422b19f12f58790c6477.png

Assuming your PQ has run and the results are there, what you download is a zip file containing two GPX files, one for the caches themselves and one for any waypoints they have. Unzip those files to somewhere convenient on your laptop, then connect your Garmin in mass storage mode. You should see it appear as a disc drive. Open the folder called Garmin and then the subfolder called GPX, and copy your PQ's GPX files to there. This is how it looks in Windows:

image.png.0e9876837592940ac3914d7254aeb186.png

Finally, eject your Garmin and you should be ready to go.

• Helpful 1

My experience is that it worth while adding a micro SD card to store your PQ’s , not on the internal memory of the 700

(I have a 750)

you can also store Third Party maps on it.

use the same Windows folder structure in the main device as a minimum   Ie. GARMIN > GPX

Keeping the PQ’s on the card allows recovery if you somehow download a corrupt file

It has happened to me!

My experience of downloading PQ direct from Garmin has been variable, I don’t bother now

• Helpful 1

Since the OP didn't say "thank you", I will. Thanx for the good answers, gang.

MikeD, it's good advice on all the Garmins. Sometimes the units will hang and crash while scanning a GPX. If you can just remove the card which means the unit can boot without scanning *any* PQ because it'll know that its internal database will be >= the internal flash and the external (removable) flash is no longer in play.

When you turn on the GPS in the morning for the first time, in the dark after a 30 minute hike to start the day and your GPS won't boot, being able to remove the SD card just to begin a calm "reboot then put the card back in again" loop can be a good feeling. 

Oh: and I fixed the subject, per our FAQ.)

• Helpful 2