Emojis in cache names

7 minutes ago, lee737 said:

this website does though

You may find custom tool I just made useful (if it even works at all...)

Edited by Hügh
Spelling.
14 minutes ago, colleda said:

??????:wacko:

PQ's are designed for GPSr units..... they can't display the characters, and it corrupts other aspects of the display as well - ideally the PQ would be made without them. I wonder if these contribute to some of the instability I note with GPSr's at times... random crashes etc.... 

• Helpful 3
7 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Phone apps use them too.  It's part of my workflow.

I'd rather see emojis than a blank name, especially in a whole series of caches.

You’re right, we use them that way too, really just as a backup to the GPS…. Removing emojis does leave the text…. I can’t imagine GS fiddling with the PQ generator anytime soon though!

I’ll stick to stripping them out myself….

8 hours ago, lee737 said:

PQ's are designed for GPSr units..... they can't display the characters, and it corrupts other aspects of the display as well - ideally the PQ would be made without them. I wonder if these contribute to some of the instability I note with GPSr's at times... random crashes etc.... 

I'm au fait with PQs however, not so with ASCII characters. Back in the day I was happy to do a little programming in Atari Basic but when it comes to characters I'm happy in my ignorance.

IIRC there are one or two local mystery caches which require solving lines of emojis which went on my ignore list. At least there weren't any in the titles.

On 5/15/2023 at 7:14 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

I'd rather see emojis than a blank name, especially in a whole series of caches.

If someone can't be bothered to give their cache an actual name then I can't be bothered to seek the cache. 

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

If someone can't be bothered to give their cache an actual name then I can't be bothered to seek the cache. 

I'm not sure if you'd even be allowed to have a blank cache name (I suspect not), I certainly haven't seen it, except for emoji containing names in the GPS.....