to be or not to be

Ariberna

Is it possible that one fountain or converted fountain was denied in the two cathegories?.

Motif in fountains: if you have grifo (water tap), no water runs. Even if It's for drought savings. But even though it doesn't run water it's not converted either, denied too because is  it's a fountain.

Draw your conclusions, but as we say here "If it's not an ox, it's a cow"

And thanks for the reviewer that is alone in some votes

819684A0-0BE8-47AD-8F74-E9AE694A0BF5.jpeg

The officers want to see running water as an evidence that the fountain is not abandoned. Around here many fountains are stopped during winter to prevent the tubes from freezing. So, I'll usually have to wait until spring. I guess, you'll have to wait for a more humid season.

• Helpful 1

And, Ariberna, ""If it's not an ox, it's a cow" seems a pretty narrow view of the animal world. :D

Here, at the moment I'm looking out the window at an animal that's NOT an ox. Neither is it a cow. It's a robin.

BEAUTIFUL, sunny 24° afternoon with not a cloud in the sky and not a breath of wind. Our first true "Shorts & T-shirt" day of the year. Just got back from a long walk in the sun and was actually sweating when I arrived.

I hope the rest of you are lucky enough to be experiencing a similar day!.:)

Keith

• Funny 2

I once made photos of a nice fountain without any water running. It turned out, that it was broken and it doesn''t seem that it will ever be repaired. But it's not converted either. So, this fountain will most likely never become a WM. I can live with that. Fortunately there are plenty of other things to waymark. :-)

• Helpful 2

This water fountains, with the intent of providing water to the population - now or in the past - is definitely something deserving its own category. They are usually interesting, many are historic, pure heritage, and still, no place to place them in Waymarking. From time to time there is some talk about creating a category but so far, nothing came up.

Fountains - as far as I can remember - only accept decorative fountains. 

5 hours ago, Torgut said:

This water fountains, with the intent of providing water to the population - now or in the past - is definitely something deserving its own category. They are usually interesting, many are historic, pure heritage, and still, no place to place them in Waymarking. From time to time there is some talk about creating a category but so far, nothing came up.

Fountains - as far as I can remember - only accept decorative fountains. 

Torgut, I completely agree with your sentiment regarding historic fountains.

As it stands, it would seem that historic fountains find themselves orphans, without a place to land, saving their having been somehow converted to another purpose, such as a large flower bed or some such.

HOWEVER, I will note here the preface to the Converted Fountains category description, which reads as follows:

Any fountain that once featured running water but is now permanently out of service or converted to another use.

That alone should be the "foot in the door" for historic fountains.

Further:

Expanded Description:

Any outdoor or indoor fountain that previously had running water but no longer does. If the fountain now has another use, please describe it

Those should allow any historic fountain you might find to be included in the category, with no muss or fuss.

If, however, a historic fountain still has running water, it's still admissible in the Fountains category so, again, no problem!

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

Scoogiel, not really. That's assuming historic fountains are deactivated, which is not the case. As to Fountains, "Any and all type of non-drinking type fountain". No no no. We were talking about fountains providing potable water to the population (like that in the picture above, I believe), many of them with deep historical significance, some of them trivial though.

Fi, that's awkward and terribly wrong, I guess. Vague, prone to variations of criteria etc. What I know is that in my country there are beautiful fountains providing water, either active or deactivated, they are not decorative and many years ago when I subnitted one it was declined, which I accepted as in fact there is that exclusion. So I keep a proper category for places like the one in this picture here should be created.