Earthcache Event(?) or a Geocaching Event regarding Earthcaching?

Kurt Franke

I'd like to plan/host a Geocaching Event focused on Earthcaching. As social thing, it would mainly involve a visit to a planetarium with a film and an Astronomy presentation. 

Is there someway to qualify this 2 hour Event as an actual Earthcache, or will it be reviewed/classified as a Geocaching.com Event cache and just coincidentaly about Earthcaching?

Thanks!

27 minutes ago, Kurt Franke said:

Is there someway to qualify this 2 hour Event as an actual Earthcache,

No.

The guidelines about temporary geocaches would probably apply here.

27 minutes ago, Kurt Franke said:

or will it be reviewed/classified as a Geocaching.com Event cache and just coincidentaly about Earthcaching?

Yes.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

It sounds like it would be a fun event, but it needs to focus on a specific physical feature to be an EarthCache. See the Guidelines, especially number three.  You might keep it in mind to host an event near International EarthCache Day (International EarthCache Day: October 7 and 8 this year)

And be sure to tie the subject to some geological feature of the Earth. I know astronomy is often taught as part of Earth and Space Science (I taught that!) but the generic planetarium show focused on stars and planets is space science not Earth science. Pull in something geological related to the particular area, if you can, and some part of the planetarium show such as meteor impacts, geodesic coordinates and gps use, etc--there are many speciality shows available to planetariums. 

Edited by Neos2
correct a link
  • Helpful 1

I have this penciled in for Earth Science Week 10/8-14/23) and International Earthcaching Day(s) it seems to still be a simple GC Event Cache, not an Earthcahce per se. May work on listing an Earthcache nearby to coincide with that weekends event.

Part of the Planetarium presentation would be a short film (24 minutes) on "Super Volcanos". While I would like this Event to qualify for an Earthcache, I don't think it does. Oh well. 

I have posted in this thread already from my personal geocaching profile, and I try not to mix in my reviewer role when I do that.

But I did want to clarify this for anyone who finds this thread in the future.

On 3/10/2023 at 1:14 PM, Kurt Franke said:

While I would like this Event to qualify for an Earthcache, I don't think it does.

That's correct, it would not qualify as an earthcache.

Earthcaches, like any other non-event cache type, are subject to the guideline on cache permanence:

Hide your cache to have a long life.

Temporary caches intended to stay active for fewer than three months will not be published.

Event caches normally come in two flavors, normal events and Cache In Trash Out (CITO). There is no Earthcache Event type.

While it is certainly permissible to have an event cache that is themed around earth science or earthcaches, such a themed event would still be an event cache and not be an earthcache.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1