Online maps from mapquest.

MN12

Hey everyone!

I placed my first cache and the online map from Mapquest is Close enough...But may still disvourage some people from visiting..

How do I go about getting it spot on?...Keep making visits and update the Lat/Long until it's right?

Encourage visitors to input the lat/long to improve the map??

Or is it normal for the maps to out just a hair anyways?..

thanks!

mn12 icon_biggrin.gif

...if you're really concerned about the accuracy of your posted lat/lon, you could try an exercise in 'manual averaging' (bring a pen and paper).

Go to your cache location and note the coord with your GPSr. Then walk 20 metres away from the cache, turn around, and walk back. Once back at the cache, make another note of the coord. Repeat doing the same thing half a dozen times, each time walking away from the cache in a different direction. Once you have the results of each 'walk back', calculate their average.

Now, it you REALLY wanted to go nuts with this, you could go through the same process on several different days (preferably at different times of the day) and then calculate the average from the averages obtained on each of those days (which, I would think, would help to compensate for deviations due to changes in viewable satellite constellations).

ontario1.gif

Ahhh yes!

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me master the art of placing a cache and getting a proper reading.

My Magellan 315 does have averaging. The other trick about taking several readings and walking in and out on diferent paths worked real good too. I've planted my second cache and the map was spot on the first time!

Thanks again & happy hunting!

MN12 icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Lucas:

Hello all

Does anyone know of a site that will let you down load a digital topo map and / or satalite image of any given location in Canada.

There are a bunch for the states, but just like the CNN weather map, they forget about anything North of the border.

Thanks for any help.

Once it comes back online (which should be soon) 'Toporama' is a good place to scoop Canadian topos.

ontario1.gif

(You can still view the old 'Toporama' site through a back door)

A couple of other spots to get digital maps of Canada:

http://mapeze.com/common/map/FindPane.asp

You can search on lat/long and get a fairly detailed map if you zoom in.

http://www.lio.mnr.gov.on.ca/oliwdisclaimer.cfm

If you're in Ontario you're lucky - Land Info Ontario will give you very detailed topo maps - somewhat simplified from the hard copy but are 1:10,000 scale. Zoom right in, check off all the features boxes and then print and you can save the screen as a .gif file.