Can I use the "Geocaching" name/concept in a mobile game I am making?

DRA6N

I am developing a game for mobile that uses the "Geocaching" name and concept. The entire game isn't based around just geocaching, but includes it in it. Would I be allowed to use the Geocaching IP for this? I know that many authors have done this in their books (and have sold them) so would a sort of text-adventure-esque mobile game fall under the same category? If the geocaching logo isn't allowed to be used I could modify the logo to be something different in it's own. I suppose if Groundspeak wouldn't allow the "Geocaching" name to be used, I could name it something else but that really takes away from what it actually is.. 

• Funny 1
32 minutes ago, DRA6N said:

I am developing a game for mobile that uses the "Geocaching" name and concept. The entire game isn't based around just geocaching, but includes it in it. Would I be allowed to use the Geocaching IP for this? I know that many authors have done this in their books (and have sold them) so would a sort of text-adventure-esque mobile game fall under the same category? If the geocaching logo isn't allowed to be used I could modify the logo to be something different in it's own. I suppose if Groundspeak wouldn't allow the "Geocaching" name to be used, I could name it something else but that really takes away from what it actually is.. 

Have you checked the Logo Usage Guidelines page?

Alternatively, there is a public domain geocaching logo.

Edited by niraD
  • Upvote 1

It's always good to get permission for protected assets - as linked above in the logo use guidelines.
But generally speaking if you're not making a profit and what you're creating directs people to their website, it's unlikely to be a cause for concern on their part.

Youtube monetization is another beast, but it's possible the above could still apply. If they get something out of what you're doing, and you're not looking like you're taking advantage of the popularity of the assets for your own profit, generally, it may still be fine. 

Still, all that said, best to get permission for the protected properties than risk otherwise.  (and, with permission you may even get a bit of support, who knows)