are caches allowed in provincial and/or national parks?

emmanuel

Sure they are allowed, as long as the managers of the park don't find them! I have talked with a friend of mine who is a warden in Jasper he said it isn't a problem yet, so there is no policy that he knows of specific to geocaching. Though geocaching is considered a form of litering in his opinion.

There are caches in Banff National Park, many provincal parks in Alberta have caches, a few provincal parks and in Nova Scotia, that I know of.

A dog got into my cache and scattered it all over the place. There was no food or other fragrant item in the cache but it was still pulled apart. The effect on wildlife is something that should be considered when placing a cache in a natural area.

quote:
Originally posted by emmanuel:

apologies, i'm new here. is there a policy regarding these parks? more specifically, parks in NB (i.e. bay of fundy) and NS (i.e. Kejamakujik and Cape Breton Highlands)...

much thanks for your help

EL

Emmanuel you will probably discover that there currently is no set policy established but you can bet your booties they would get one in place real fast if we cachers caused problems to the environment of the parks. The fact that you are asking indicates that you are concerned about it all.

I would recommend that you get at least 10 to 15 cache finds under your belt before considering placing your own. This would give you a good understanding of how its done. Then you could approach Park Management with your own cache hiding plans and be able to demonstrate to them that environmental concerns top the list of our rules.

Cheers and welcome to Geocaching, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"