Growing our game

Mack's Nav-5

As a new member and a geo-rookie (25 found) I see a potential challenge with the future of this great organization. Many of the geo-veterans (100 or more found) are not placing enough caches out to be found! I was looking through some stats and noticed some people with 400 to 500 finds with as little as 2 to 10 hidden! What examples are we displaying to future veterans about growing something we all enjoy so much? A possible solution would be to require members to hide and maintain 5 to 10% of their total finds. This would ensure continued growth and keep the interest to all who participate in geocaching. What do you think? Thanks..Tim (Mack's Nav-5) Georgia/USA

Welcome Mack's Nav-5;

You will enjoy the game in the long run.

And the problem your getting at has been hashed and cussed and cursed and even debated a lot of time's.

And the last I read, no known answer was ever arrived at.

And if you find a cure, let us oldtimers with a box full of hides know how to get others to hide a lot more.

And as for requiring a ratio of hides, how are you going to enforce it? And what if there are a lot of hides in a small area with a lot of cachers close by. Just think, if 100 people hide 10 each, you would have a 1000 caches. And that would be enough hides to look for to keep even myself busy for a couple weeks.

And you will hear a lot more from the others later on. Heck, you will even get markwelled a couple (dozen) times.

logscaler.

You should only place as many as you can reasonable maintain.

I've got about 20 out and have placed 40 over time. More will follow. One thing I do not want to do is dominate my area any more than I already do. On the other hadn if nobody ESPECIALLY the newbies don't get out there and hide them I'll have nothing better to do than place yet more caches.

All right, you shamed me into adding a cache today. it's only a virtual but it's 1700 KM from my home and would be hard to maintain as a traditional cache.

Make that 2 caches, one in California, one in Holland.

[This message was edited by Hiemdahl on July 10, 2003 at 12:27 PM.]