A great vintage

I have a new idea for a waymark category. The idea is to look for an artwork,  building or structure that is as old as you are (which has the same creation/building year as your birthyear). I found an artwork in Rijswijk from 1984, my birthyear. It was kind of run down, so not flattering. There must be great examples out there, though. Extra credits if you find something that was built or placed at your birthday!

What do you think of this idea for a Waymarking category?

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

To be very honest with you: To me this sounds more like a good idea for a photo goal. For example "Take a picture of you with a birthday cake in your hands in front of a building/structure/artwork/... on your birthday" or something like that.

If it was a WM category, we would have a category filled with all kinds of stuff with no obvious relation, other than they all were built/errected/... in the birthyear of the WM owner. Here in Wien, Austria they built several (boring) apartment buildings in my birthyear, but I wouldn't draw someone's attention to them, just because they were built in my own birthyear.

I'm more a fan of categories with a (more or less) precise topic. But I'm not totally against it, and if it makes it to Peer Review, I would most likely Astain, but not Deny it. So, let's hear what others think.

I agree with PISA-Caching: this sounds like a fun Photo Goal waymark, and challenges of this nature are EXACTLY what that category is about. There is already a waymark for the goal of taking a photo of yourself at a street with your same name, so your idea would fit perfectly there, and would not need its own category. 

Another issue I see with this category is that you very likely would only have as many waymarks in it as there are waymarkers - it could be a one-and-done gimme-the-icon category, and we already have several of those. 

I would suggest you post your idea as a waymark in Photo Goals - there is a nearby Texas historical marker erected in my birth year I could add. :) 

Well, Becktracker, it would appear that you did not lie when, in a neighbouring thread, you stated that a few Thumbs Downs from the community would not stop you from posting. Truthfulness is an estimable quality, unfortunately evermore difficult to encounter.

Again unfortunately, I find myself climbing onto the Photo Goals bandwagon, as outlined by Andreas and Perky. My initial vision, upon pondering the proposed category, is one of Waymarkers searching through their approved Waymarks, hoping to hit on the search word XXXX, XXXX being their year of birth.

9 hours ago, Benchmark Blasterz said:

Another issue I see with this category is that you very likely would only have as many waymarks in it as there are waymarkers - it could be a one-and-done gimme-the-icon category, and we already have several of those. 

Slightly Incorrect, Perky - In my travels and travails I may well have found multiple buildings/structures/parks/items/sites created in 1950 (yeah, I'm not ashamed to say it, I'm coming up on 72 years - still have trouble believing that!!)

AND, if I were willing to just pump the numbers, I would submit them ALL! :blink:

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I believe you, Becktracker, have an actionable idea here, but a Photo Goals actionable idea.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII