Found a blue Travel Racer tag but can’t log it

AlmondEyes

I found a cache that isn’t found often and this tag was in there.  It didn’t show as being in there on the cache page.  There is only a stamped number on the back that starts with RA but I can’t find a page for this tag.  I put the numbers in and the website says it doesn’t exist.  Aren’t these supposed to have another set of numbers to go by in order for other cachers to log?  What am I supposed to do with this thing because I cannot log it or figure out who the owner is in order to reach out to them.  I found it in Philadelphia, Penna.

image.jpg

1 hour ago, AlmondEyes said:

I found a cache that isn’t found often and this tag was in there.  It didn’t show as being in there on the cache page.  There is only a stamped number on the back that starts with RA but I can’t find a page for this tag.  I put the numbers in and the website says it doesn’t exist.  Aren’t these supposed to have another set of numbers to go by in order for other cachers to log?  What am I supposed to do with this thing because I cannot log it or figure out who the owner is in order to reach out to them.  I found it in Philadelphia, Penna.

Was there a log with a mention of placing the tag?  Do you know which cache you found it in?  Is the tag in the Inventory of that cache?  I couldn't immediately locate the Find log where you mention seeing a Trackable that you can't log.  If you didn't say so, the first thing to do is to type in your log something about problems with the tag (but don't post tracking codes).

If there's something strange about the tracking code, you may have some detective work ahead of you.  For example, if the code is longer than 6 digits, you could try just typing 6 of the digits without the prefix or suffix (if there's an extra word that makes the code too long).  If there are letters and numbers that could be confused with other letters or numbers, try other combinations, such as "0" for a "O".  Be sure to return specifically to the search page https://www.geocaching.com/track/ after each attempt.

Contact the help center, and they might be able to figure it out.

It's also an option to leave a confusing TB where you found it, and some other finder may do the research.

Edited by kunarion
2 hours ago, AlmondEyes said:

I found a cache that isn’t found often and this tag was in there.  It didn’t show as being in there on the cache page.  

There is only a stamped number on the back that starts with RA but I can’t find a page for this tag.  I put the numbers in and the website says it doesn’t exist.  Aren’t these supposed to have another set of numbers to go by in order for other cachers to log?  What am I supposed to do with this thing because I cannot log it or figure out who the owner is in order to reach out to them.  I found it in Philadelphia, Penna.

Guessing it's one of those "CoinsAndPins" tags, it's usually written on the back. usually they have wording about being in a race...

Like kunarion, I'd look at 0 (zero) vs O (oh), 5 for S, 1 (one) for I (eye)... that kinda thing. 

If it gets to be a pain-in-the-can, you're allowed to put it in another cache and forgetaboutit.   :)

UGH!  You both were right….. I was putting in the letter O instead of the number 0.  Thank you!

Yes, it does say it’s from Coinsandpins.com. I hadn’t come across one of these yet.  Really, I rarely come across many trackables anymore but I always grab them if it’s a cache that doesn’t have much traffic just to move them along a bit.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, AlmondEyes said:

UGH!  You both were right….. I was putting in the letter O instead of the number 0.  Thank you!

Yes, it does say it’s from Coinsandpins.com. I hadn’t come across one of these yet.  Really, I rarely come across many trackables anymore but I always grab them if it’s a cache that doesn’t have much traffic just to move them along a bit.

Cool. :)

I've found some that have both a 0 and O in the tracking code.  And of course some that were so beat up, a C looked like a G.  :anicute: