Feature request: Event sizes

technetium

Considering that an event with 10 people is a different event than one with 100 people, I would appreciate the possibility to filter on event sizes. This might also be useful for when there is a infectious disease and you want to avoid large crowds.

With the logic that an event of more than 500 is a mega event and more than 5000 people a giga. One could suggest that an event with less than 50 people is a milli event and with less than 5 a micro. But I understand that adding cache types is not something that is easily done, so I have another proposal:

All Events now have as size: Other. It used to be possible to enter a size with events. For example the large event The Highlands Spring Fling 10 (GC21RMY) or the micro event St. Lawrence Islands National Park  (GC1XRQK). My request is to re-enable the possibility to enter the size of an event.

A guideline for the sizes could be:

< 5: Micro

2-25: Small

26-100: Regular

> 100: Large

Tc

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 3
24 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

How does one predict how big the event will be in order to assign it a size? Can the cache owner turn people away from the event to prevent the size changing after publication?

I think someone organising an event will be capable of estimating how many people will attend their event.

In my country, when an event has limited capacity, it's custom to make an announcement the limit is reached https://coord.info/GL124DCGR any more will attends will be added to a waiting list and the cache title is added with the word VOL (=full)

Tc

7 hours ago, technetium said:

Considering that an event with 10 people is a different event than one with 100 people

I don't think so, not for me.  I usually talk to the people I know and not to all 100 who have signed-up.  Just recently have attended an Event with more than 800 People https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC8GVCH_event-am-see-2021-event-at-the-lake-2021?guid=1768bcdd-034c-4155-950a-718a51a3accc

and I have been in contact with about 10.  The other 790 were not even close to me.

7 hours ago, technetium said:

In my country, when an event has limited capacity, it's custom to make an announcement the limit is reached

Yes, same here, but this limit was set because of limitations to the event location (Restaurant size) or because infection law dictates it.

If there is not a similar reason, why would you limit the event size to "micro" ?  Is this fair to Geocacher who would like to attend?

9 hours ago, technetium said:

Considering that an event with 10 people is a different event than one with 100 people, I would appreciate the possibility to filter on event sizes.

This might also be useful for when there is a infectious disease and you want to avoid large crowds.

:)

It's not that tough to look at the event's page, and get a rough idea how many people will attend, but I haven't seen an event "accurate" yet.

One we attended was supposed to have a team-based game attached, but less than half the people attended. 20% chance of rain maybe...

One at a state park was supposed to be around a dozen people, but once folks learned a new swimming area opened up there, another roughly 2 dozen unregistered people showed up.

It takes one person to spread a disease.  Which one do you pick to attend?   :D