HTML

Hi! I am working on getting a cache published but I need to put some HTML in my cache description. I clicked the source button then pasted the exact HTML code but when I click save and previewed it says: "Remove all images hosted on a third-party website to save changes. Tip: Upload images directly to the cache page with the user-friendly editor." Does anybody know how to fix this? 

The instructions you were asked to follow are outdated.  Geocaching.com changed it so that you can no longer link directly to images hosted on other websites.  You will need to save the image from the government website, then upload it to your cache page, and then substitute the URL for that uploaded image into the HTML that's required to be on your cache page.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 4
On 6/2/2021 at 4:30 PM, Keystone said:

The instructions you were asked to follow are outdated.  Geocaching.com changed it so that you can no longer link directly to images hosted on other websites.  You will need to save the image from the government website, then upload it to your cache page, and then substitute the URL for that uploaded image into the HTML that's required to be on your cache page.

Did anyone ever query the copyright implications of uploading images first to Groundspeak servers btw? Say that one of my copyrighted images was used on a cache page without attribution, for example. Is that now Groundspeak's responsibility?

• Upvote 2

The image in question is a required permission logo for the Washington State Parks.  It is hosted on the WSGA geocaching organization's website.  As a former attorney, I assess the odds of copyright infringement issues in this example to be de minimis.  Ooooh, lookie!  I didn't forget my obscure Latin legal terms.