Darwin473 Posted May 8, 2021 Share Posted May 8, 2021 (edited) Apologies for the click-baity title! I have some TB's that I'm going to be releasing, but instead of just sending out a simple bit of metal I wanted to "jazz them up" a bit with my own designs. I can't afford to do a run of custom GeoCoins (and fifty of the same could be a little boring in our small town), so I made some wooden ones by printing out some designs and gluing them onto some wooden discs. Relatively simple to do, here's the procedure (I remembered to take photos of most of the steps): (If the images are too big, please let me know and I'll edit them) With the last step being to seal them up in case when they get wet. Nowhere near as good as a proper geocoin (I did think of adding some metal for weight, but that was too complex). These are actually the fourth attempt; the first three sets came up with really mediocre results. The first was using packing tape over the paper design (tape started peeling on garden resilience testing), the second was toner transfer (my printer wasn't putting down enough toner) and the third was the same as above but using wood varnish (no good because the varnish soaked into the paper and made the designs blotchy). For this fourth attempt I went out and bought a pot of Mod Podge specifically for this which put my costs up a bit (most everything else was from stuff I already had) but I can use it on other projects. (Edit 25 July 2021 - the combination of Mod Podge and sealer is reported to start getting "tacky" in the heat. The above process works, I'll experiment with other sealers - though I don't recommend standard Mod Podge. Probably best to avoid water based glue / sealer.) All four have similar designs on the back with a quick bit of text, the TB code and "log at geocaching.com" on them. Overall I'm relatively happy with how these came out, there was a bit of time and effort involved though the majority of the time was waiting for layers to dry. Plus there was a bit of a learning curve as I found what wasn't working and had to keep re-starting. I wanted to share these here in case it inspires someone else to do something similar, or create a proxy for a TB that has been MIA for too long and wants to be resurrected. Edit: Dang, just realised Step 2 is meant to say "plaster putty". Edited July 24, 2021 by Unit473L Updated information 1 1 Quote Link to comment
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.