How to use Montana 700i while charging in car

My husband bought us a Montana 700i, we were finally able to get outside and play with it today however on our way home when I plugged it into the car USB charger it wouldn’t let me turn it on while charging my. I did this all the time with our Oregon and old Montana. Is there a setting or something I’m missing that will allow me to charge while driving?  I use it a lot while driving backroads and on road trips and it’s handy for it to be charged for when are camping and out for long hikes. 

If your Montana is set up like the Oregons . Go to setup >system > interface> switch to garmin spanner. When you plug into a USB port it should give you a a screen USB Cable Detected Would you like to go to Mass Storage?  "Choose No"

Placing the Device into Garmin Spanner Mode. Select Setup from the Main Menu. Select System. Select Interface. If Interface is not listed as an option, skip to step 4. Montana 700 users: Select Advanced Setup to find the Interface option. Select Garmin Spanner²

Edited by mty55

I use the Montana 600. It has a powered car mount that comes with a speaker, so it can give turn-by-turn guidance. It doesn't use the USB plug, so there's no need to change settings.

It appears the Montana 700 has a car mount like this as well; you might consider that option. Especially if you are traveling through a state with strict hands-free laws. Saw it for $89 here, but there may be cheaper options available.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, hzoi said:

It appears the Montana 700 has a car mount like this as well; you might consider that option. Especially if you are traveling through a state with strict hands-free laws. Saw it for $89 here,

I have that mount, works very well. 

Provides additional audio capability while the Montana 7x0 is snapped into the cradle, and charges the device while you use it! 

The Montana 7x0 can be quickly and easily removed from the dock as necessary for handheld use, then snapped back in to the cradle for hands free use and battery charging. 

The cradle is powered by any micro-USB cable connected to a vehicle power port.