Jump to content

Wherigo as a Bonus Cache?


Recommended Posts

I would like to use a Wherigo as the Bonus Cache for a Series I am working on. I am thinking of either making the starting point of the cartridge different from the posted coordinates similar to a Unknown cache. Information gathered from the series caches would be used to solve the Wherigo starting  coordinates, similar to many typical bonus caches.

 

If that is not allowed then I could make it so that you need to enter information that can only be found in the other series caches to progress through the story. I would clearly identify this requirement on the cache page. Would something like this get published?

 

The overall series is a story and the conclusion (Bonus) is the culmination so just having a Unknown seems like a let down. A Wherigo for the final offers many more possibilities to tell the story better. Any other ideas?

 

Thanks

GG

 

 

Link to post

I'd ask your local reviewer. Some will suggest that the rule that "bonus caches must be listed as Mystery caches" overrules the rule that "caches that require you to play a Wherigo cartridge should be listed as a Wherigo cache." Others will suggest the opposite.

Link to post
4 hours ago, Goodgulf said:

I would like to use a Wherigo as the Bonus Cache for a Series I am working on. 

 - snip -

Any other ideas?

 

Agree that speaking to your Reviewer is your best bet.   :)

I haven't used a phone to cache in some time, and use a GPSr that doesn't support Wherigo. Maybe that's different in some areas.

 It'd be appreciated that you identified that "requirement" on the cache page, then I could hit all the others and simply skip the bonus.

I know I'm far from being the only one in a few areas, so if you really had a story to tell, I feel it'd be missed by a buncha folks.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
7 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

 It'd be appreciated that you identified that "requirement" on the cache page, then I could hit all the others and simply skip the bonus.


I don’t think the OP was suggesting a Wherigo masquerading as a Mystery.  If they were, then not sure that’s a great idea.  (Nor whether it would be going against the guidelines.)

 

8 hours ago, Hügh said:

I'd ask your local reviewer. Some will suggest that the rule that "bonus caches must be listed as Mystery caches" overrules the rule that "caches that require you to play a Wherigo cartridge should be listed as a Wherigo cache." Others will suggest the opposite.


Agree, this could be an issue.  There was a discussion here not that long ago about having a Letterbox Hybrid as a bonus.  This seemed completely reasonable to me, but apparently goes against the guideline: “A bonus cache is a Mystery Cache ...”.

 

Definitely worth checking with your Reviewer.

 

One way around this would be to remove the dependency on what’s *in* the other caches, instead using information found *at* the other cache locations.  In other words the locations of the other caches would also be virtual waypoints for your Wherigo, and the information would be used to find the start point for the cartridge.  (Consequently, cachers would be able to complete the Wherigo without necessarily finding all of the other caches.  Some might say that’s a good thing?)

Link to post
25 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

I don’t think the OP was suggesting a Wherigo masquerading as a Mystery.  If they were, then not sure that’s a great idea.  (Nor whether it would be going against the guidelines.)

 

The OP said "I would clearly identify this requirement on the cache page." in regards to info required for the Wherigo.

Not sure where you got the idea I was talking about mysteries, I never mentioned them...  :)

Link to post
6 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

 

The OP said "I would clearly identify this requirement on the cache page." in regards to info required for the Wherigo.

Not sure where you got the idea I was talking about mysteries, I never mentioned them...  :)

 

Apologies.  I figured that if you didn’t have a device to do Wherigos you’d just ignore them regardless of what was on the cache page; I thought you must have interpreted the OP’s post differently.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...